Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Ca18det

Old 07-23-2003, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK.. I can safely speak on the CA issue... I've had one.. didn't really get it tuned fully.. My knowledge was not up to the par of that motor at the time.. but heck it tought me a lot.

Anyways... here is the good and the ugly of Mr. CA

Pros of CA..
1. Good old iron block..
2. Good spacing so no sleeving required...
3. Small footprint. Literally it looks tiny.
4. Incredible head design flat out. Shim bucket over lifter design gets big thumbs up vs the SR's many moving and often breaking stuffs. You do not have to do crap to that head and it will support 9500rpm
5. Intake manifold.. another thumbs up. Looks akward but good design.. Not tappered, but again how many manfiold do you see with split runner design stock ? 8 runners on stock manifold = good. Puny throttle body though. If you ever see one you will think its a toy.
6. CA is oversquare 83x83.6 - not much over.. but still. Dont want to get into this too much.. there just isn't enough oxygen in this world for this debate.
7. Belt drive vs. chain... hmm no brainer... I prefer metal to rubber in my motor anyday.. even though belt is a tad smoother.
8. Stock pistons ... SR is the champion, CA likes to crack
9. Rods.. both of these motors have man rods.. It takes 4 hond rods to make 1 of these .. hahah
10. Other stupid stuff... Turbos are crap on these.. even smaller than SR's
11.The stock EFI system is marginal. Uses old style Q45 chips and old style Nissan coil packs. All this stuff likes to break. SR hands down winner in this category.
12. ECU ... SR wins again
13. Injectors !!!! TOP FEED !!! SR can suck on that. Actually back about 2 years ago this would have mattered if you wanted drop in replacements, cause side feeds were worth more than their weight in gold. Anyways.. the CA are rumored to be the GTS Skyline / GTiR 440 cc topfeeds although factory they are rated at only 380. You can drop TT supra 550's in (usually you can snag a set of these for $150).. Easy upgrading here vs SR.

Ok I've had both motors.. so lemme tell you the rest. SR is bad to the bone .. beat the fu$# out of it and still go home happy. CA's are finnicky.. Not bad .. just finicky. Of the 2 the CA is a much smoother engine. It really feels like a motorcycle engine. It is mucho good on the design side.. and not enough displacement.. that was my beef. BTW.. Stud the block w/ ARP's .. Trust me on this.

This is the verdict though... The CA is a better designed motor.. hands down from a mechanical / refinment stand point. The SR is just a kick ass mass produced motor. The problem is the CA was just not big enough and the performance never lived up to the massive engineering that went into creating it. In either case just buy a SR. CA is something I am going to do again after I finish my SR and have it Scott or John tuned. I want to re-attempt CA project now that I have more knowledge... The original was a bad-ass with a lot of potential that never got fully tapped.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:12 PM

Hehe
Old 07-23-2003, 07:13 PM

Old 07-23-2003, 07:14 PM

Old 07-23-2003, 07:15 PM

Old 07-23-2003, 07:15 PM

Old 07-23-2003, 07:16 PM

Default 6

Old 07-23-2003, 07:24 PM

Notice my creative brake booster placement Gotta love that. Anyways .. CA with a knifed crank. JE 8.5:1 85mm , crower, nissan bearings, HKS metal gasket, Haltech E6K, HKS iron T4 divided manifold, HKS race wastegate, T4 straight.. with way too big housings, Greddy RSPL.

I think I'm gonna try to buy my car back from the guy I sold it to and do SR or CA into it

later all,
Martin S.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:58 PM
lifelong learner

YOU WONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!``````111111111111111
Old 07-24-2003, 10:43 AM
Anti-Flag

I remember back when you were breaking the CA in and went with us over to Cophers lol .

I think i'm gonna do a CA . Just because I can get it dirt cheap and I dont plan on trying to make over 250RWHP with it . I'll just run with a better HG and some ARP's since they tend to leak when too much is asked .

Hopefully this goes well . If not I can thank my stupid ass for trying to be different .

If your going to post , please fucking think before you start talking out of your ass !