Taking Over This Kouki Project

Old 08-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Rojya Productions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for taking the time with the replies! I'll try to respond in order:

1) I forgot to list the high-beams but those are staying in. And that's what I wanted to do with the wideband and 02 sensor, have them come out the driver's side firewall fenderwell hole then make that immediate right into the bay by the clutch master cylinder. Actually I have a question regarding the water temp sensor, their is another sensor on the lower hose and I can't remember from back when I originally own it but it was unhooked when I got the car this time:

I'm pretty sure this isn't factory, that sensor is up near the intake manifold correct? I was thinking of ditching this one and putting my prosport sensor here. In this case i will run that wiring out the passenger side when I do that harness.

2) Ok, you talked me into it, I'll remove the reservoir sensor. The P/S sensor, yea that's what I understood it to do as well so I was going to ditch it. My car was originally an auto yea, had a brand new clutch pedal assembly put in at the time for proof haha also I had to wire in the reverse lights on that bit of harness. The horn, actually the car never had a horn the whole time I owned it. The steering wheel I'm going to use doesn't have a horn either, personally I never use them ... if I have to I flash my lights, or rev heh. The green and pink connector I still have no idea ... I'll take a picture next time and see what we can find out.

3) Actually maybe the green/pink unused connected I have was one of those useless temp sensors? The other connector was just dangling because the sensor itself (along with my horn) was missing ... I may have thrown it out when I removed my hood latch originally. Anyhow, glad to know it's not necessary for the engine. I'll be removing them both it looks like.

4) I think I already answered this one about moving the MAF and 02 sensors to run along the crash bar under the dash and out the drivers side. I have a Z32 MAF that I need to wire the connector in anyway so I can do this at the same time. I want AEM series2 eventually but for now this will work.

------

Another question that I have is what the heck is this plug for? It was unplugged when I received the car. I took this picture before I pulled the harness and stuff out, looks like the ECU main plug to me and I assume that's what it is if I have a JDM harness right, because in those cars the ECU would be over here:

Thanks again for all the help! As well as with the MS3 info ... I think by the time my warranty is up I'll be bored with the car lol. We'll see. I want to try and focus on the S14 for now though.

Last edited by kairojya; 08-23-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Rojya Productions

An update:

First I started reconnecting the wires for connectors that will be leaving the cabin (lights, etc). Here I have all the drivers and passenger side lighting wired up, fog light wiring removed. While doing this I wrote down which wires by color/pattern are for which connectors and where the go to. I also checked with multimeter from connector or SMJ to the connector at the other end. Looks all good so far!

So here is something strange I found. I believe this bit of wiring is for the corner lights (in the center of the picture). There's one power source that comes from the cabin into the bay, then it splits off into four connectors. Two are for the corner lights next to the headlights, the other two are for the sidemarkers on the USDM front bumper I guess. In this way I get it, send 1 wire out instead of 4 ... what I am confused about is in the third picture below...

Closer picture:

Here's where it gets strange. Coming from the right is the wiring in the bay, heading towards the left is going into the cabin. The splice in the center wrapped in the gray tape is what I'm a bit confused about. One of the wires goes up to the lighting connector on the steering column as expected, the other goes to the SMJ. I haven't dug into the FSM about this yet but I was just wondering why this is necessary?

Anyhow, here's an unexpected issue, this is the bit of harness that goes from the SMJ connector area up the the steering column, you might notice some issues..

All this wiring was hacked up and had 3 relays for some fuel cut off switches (I believe). Also some wiring was running to the crappy alarm. Gonna have to spend a bit of time repairing this.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:09 AM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

-Looks like at one point someone else had an aftermarket temp sensor/gauge in there. That's definitely what that is - though I'd just relocate yours since that one may not work - then just get one solid hose for the shorty on the driver's side. The OEM one should be on the water neck near the OEM temp gauge sensor.

-Yeah, that auto resistor is what that was then.

And that's definitely some sort of ECU plug. Yes, the JDM ECU would have been over there, but do you have an ECU on your passenger side? Why wouldn't it be using that plug? Do you have some sort of weirdo harness splice deal going on? The only other thing I think it could be is perhaps some auto transmission box but I don't think S14s had those. I'm confusing my car knowledge here...
Old 08-24-2012, 05:16 AM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

If it goes into the SMJ block, which SMJ is it for? I know there are two in there. I think one is part of the harness running behind the dash, and the other is a body harness heading towards the back of the car.

It's probably splitting again so it can go to the SMJ and then run to the back of the car for the rear side markers and license plate lights and tail lamps. Same reasoning, they only have so much space going into steering column area, why not use one wire for parking lights and then split that thing out for front and rear, then split again when needed for individual bulbs.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:34 AM
Rojya Productions

Originally Posted by dan
-Looks like at one point someone else had an aftermarket temp sensor/gauge in there. That's definitely what that is - though I'd just relocate yours since that one may not work - then just get one solid hose for the shorty on the driver's side. The OEM one should be on the water neck near the OEM temp gauge sensor.

-Yeah, that auto resistor is what that was then.

And that's definitely some sort of ECU plug. Yes, the JDM ECU would have been over there, but do you have an ECU on your passenger side? Why wouldn't it be using that plug? Do you have some sort of weirdo harness splice deal going on? The only other thing I think it could be is perhaps some auto transmission box but I don't think S14s had those. I'm confusing my car knowledge here...
Ok that's good to know its not an OE temp sensor because I could not find a plug to fit its connector lol. I was thinking though, would I want to read the temp in that hose or the upper if I have a choice? Wouldn't the reading be different, higher going into the radiator and lower coming out? If so I would want to read the higher one to tell how the engine is cooling rather than how my radiator is working per say, I would think..

So the ECU looking plug could be spliced. My current ECU is in the factory location on the passenger side. I haven't looked at or touched any of the other harnesses so I'll have to check, I'm hoping it was something related to the auto trans rather than some splice or hack job I have to repair..
Old 08-24-2012, 05:38 AM
Rojya Productions

Originally Posted by dan
If it goes into the SMJ block, which SMJ is it for? I know there are two in there. I think one is part of the harness running behind the dash, and the other is a body harness heading towards the back of the car.

It's probably splitting again so it can go to the SMJ and then run to the back of the car for the rear side markers and license plate lights and tail lamps. Same reasoning, they only have so much space going into steering column area, why not use one wire for parking lights and then split that thing out for front and rear, then split again when needed for individual bulbs.
So the running lights wire that comes through the firewall splits into two wires. One runs up the steering column to the light switch connector. The other goes into the SMJ on the engine room harness (white plug). As far as I understand it, the other SMJ (gray plug) is for the body harness and rear subharness.

You make a good point though, I bet that's exactly what the reasoning behind this is. So I will be connecting that wire back and keeping it, that's what I was wondering. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Rojya Productions

Update:

Here's what I have removed from the engine room harness so far, this is going to be much larger once I shorter the main group of wires that will now stay inside the cabin that once ran out to the fuesbox. Down in this pile is:
- the horn connector
- fog light connectors
- wire for the USDM from bumper side markers
- ambient temperature sensor
- the connector for the "dropping resistor" (something related to the auto transmission system)
- some other connector with Pink and Green wire (I think) that I believe was for the temp sensor in the stock intake/airbox
- brake fluid level sensor
- P/S sensor that bumps the idle speed when turning the steering at low speeds or stopped
- horn relay
- both cooling fan relay
- perhaps more, can't remember off the top of my head

Here's what's left of my fuses and relays. I have yet to determine which relay is for the fog lights and which is for the headlights (one is in the background behind the roll of tape) but I intend to remove the fog light relay.

Here's my harness so far. I have all the wiring lighting running out the firewall gromet and ready to go (all verified via multi meter). I also have the tripple pressure switch connector wired up and running out the gromet, and need to add the A/C comp connector. I haven't decided for sure where I'm mounting the relays and fuses yet but that will determine how much I shorten the rest of the harness.

Along the top is the wiring for the connectors to the subharness. That strip is normally attached to the side of the fusebox. Ultimately I want to send this bit of wiring out the passenger side but I'm going to wait to do that part when I pull the engine harness out and clean it up (removing some auto trans stuff, maybe more).

These are my only connectors for the subharness that are in the car currently. There are 5 connectors though on my engine room harness, therefore I will be removing quite a bit of that wiring ... I'm curious to figure out what it's all for first though. Also that temp sensor in my lower radiator hose (which has been unused since I can't remember when) is going to be removed, and I will likely put my prosport sensor there instead.

And here is the work left for me to do in the engine bay. One of those wires is running to my trunk already for an amp that I will be removing. I haven't decided where I want to mount the battery, but I think this wire is not large enough. I have yet to look into that part yet, I mainly want to finish the harness part first then finish up with my battery location and the power wiring.

Found something interesting too, a ground terminal not attached to anything for the lower harness .. no clue what or why this is but I'll figure it out when I deal with that harness..

Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 AM
no

I'm pretty sure that tiny ground is one of the alternator grounds. The wiring that was all cut up under the dashboard (black wire with yellow stripe etc.) is for the aftermarket temp gauge that was in that car and the POS alarm. I had the same exact car alarm in my Zenki and I told Frank he'd be better off removing it before it broke completely. lol The siren used to work intermittently, then it got to the point where it wouldn't let me use the key to start the car and I ended up having to push start it to get home... Needless to say it came out later that night.

dont blame shift and make this about me. this is time you could be applying online to be a bagger at publix.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:23 AM
S one 4

That blue ecu looking plug connector is from the Automatic control computer... All auto cars have it, I have it in mine as well. That particular ecu is removed when you do a 5speed swap.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:45 PM
no

^ +1 my blue car had that too.

dont blame shift and make this about me. this is time you could be applying online to be a bagger at publix.

Quick Reply: Taking Over This Kouki Project