Little Track Build VG30e 280zx

Old 06-07-2012, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Track Build VG30e 280zx

This is the girlfriend and I's little track build we are working on together, quality bonding time. This car is going to be a strict track car that can be driven to and from the track and occasional weekend driving. I mainly am building the car for autoX and road race!

Mods or things I have so far:
Tein coilovers, still need to buy pillow ball upper mounts and camber plates
W-series vg30e fully rebuilt was previously in my z31
Holset HY35
Corbeau GT4 vintage bucket seat
Momo Race wheel and hub
16 gallon fuel cell
KA24 aluminum 2 core radiator(fits perfect in all z's s30-z31)
Whole z31 efi harness with 84T ecu
16x8 diamond racing wheels
meth injection kit
s13 front suspension parts
38mm wastegate
50mm BOV

Still need to buy:
255 fuel pumps
lines and fittings
cage
possibly arita speed replica front or imsa front
fiberglass hood
eventually fiberglass doors
lexan windows all around
will eventually run haltech after i max out the stock ecu
autometer gauges
other misc small stuff here and there

The stock 280zx tranny and z31 tranny's are the same just the bellhousing is different, so with the 280zx tranny mount on the z31 tranny it fits like a glove and only moved the engine and shifter location back about 1.5" to 2" make for as low and as far back as possible! ohh and the trans is a 71c not the t-5

A problem I did find though, is stock manifolds will not work unless you do some firewall modding with a BFH! Also stock intake will not work, but that can be remedied with a maxima front entry or s12 side entry intake flipped around!

Another problem is this, but it's a pretty easy fix, the stock s130 mount location cannot be used though, as the alternator will be placed in the same location. I will take a L shaped piece of steel stock and mount to frame rail and build mount to mount to the stock z31 mount on the block

Passenger side is near perfect, poly mounts will be replaced with a aluminum mount with the bottom shaved to a 45* angle to match the 280zx stock crossmember, and a 23* angle to match the stock z31 mount on block, at about a total of 3-4" tall or so.

also the stock hood latch assembly.....well you can just take that off and throw it at the neighborhood kids!

Not the final turbo location, was just mocking it up, I have to trim the stock MAF mount and modify it more and then I will use it as the brace for my turbo!

This is where the shifter sits with the tranny moved back, shifter location moved by about 1", but still can shift into gears 2-4-R just fine!

more pics and updates soon!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:25 AM
buildin' it

neat-o little build.

what all do you have into this so far?

what are you doing in terms of chassis bracing/strengthening?

Why didn't you do something crazy like change the rear subframe to an S14 rear subframe to modernize it some more? While a 240 subframe isn't the best, it is a good bit better than what is under the car now.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Empire
neat-o little build.

what all do you have into this so far?

what are you doing in terms of chassis bracing/strengthening?

Why didn't you do something crazy like change the rear subframe to an S14 rear subframe to modernize it some more? While a 240 subframe isn't the best, it is a good bit better than what is under the car now.
thanks man, so far I pretty much have just the price of the car and a few other things so maybe around $2k, also as for chassis bracing I'm doing a full 10 point cage. As for the rearend that's what I'm planning once I get another rearend for pretty cheap, but for now I'm just going to run the stock rear with welded diff.

I have swapped a s13 and q45 hybrid rearend into my z31 and I love it paired with stance coils all around my z31 handles like a dream the way it should have been from the factory!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 PM

got a little more done, this is more of a long term project so don't rag on me, plus my girlfriend is helping and I'm teaching her along the way so it's more of just a bonding project that she will end up drifting

[ATTACH=CONFIG]194491[/ATTACH]

tossing around the idea of a v-mount setup since I have great amounts of space, dont mind the paint scheme this is just mock up stage
[ATTACH=CONFIG]194492[/ATTACH]

Also just ordered my header flanges, mild steel tubing, and 3-1 collectors. Should be interesting as this will be my first time building a set of headers, but I think I can manage it!!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron Harris
got a little more done, this is more of a long term project so don't rag on me, plus my girlfriend is helping and I'm teaching her along the way so it's more of just a bonding project that she will end up drifting

[ATTACH=CONFIG]194491[/ATTACH]

Im doing a vg30 Swap too, and I Love how you did you ECU with a relay board and fusebox, Smart setup... Care to share how you went about it??