Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

I need to have a block checked and assembled, good shop/wiseman

Old 11-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need to have a block checked and assembled, good shop/wiseman

all the parts are there just dont have time, was wondering if you have your own shop or have someone to recomend like i know lancerman is a true dsm guru and would like oppinions

Car is a 99 GSX
I have done all the work myself and this motor has been built twice by me and everything has worked out for 20,000 on evo internals but i recently changed my setup and went an got the head fixed up with oem valves,guides, and stems with BC springs 5 angle job at Clearwater cylinder heads, before were just drop in fp2's on stock parts, now the cams are the same just the head has been cleaned up.

The block is the oem 7 bolt i have not had a single issue with it walking or bearing wear, the crank has been next size over .010" block has been bored .40 over with standard wiseco's and eagle H beams, bearing are all ACL tri metals. I do not know if they used a torque plate and was done at bayonet point engines, somewhere i probably wouldnt go again. when it was dropped off there i didnt know that it was such a fine art to machine.

This new motor has ran for 150 miles and was pulled because 1 the fidanza flywheel ring came loose and second which is my main concern because im not sure what the issue is. The car would start to smoke very bad right after it got warmed up but once you drive it would go away, I thought maybe i gaped the rings to much, I know i went with a a loose gap, 22 top 26 2nd ring, i know that is loose but i planed on giving this motor hell, other symtoms of the smoke is that is was getting worse by the time i pulled the motor there is a tone of oil in the exhaust mani and in the turbo which i thought might have been blown but it seems fine some slight side to side but i ran the car without the turbo and still smoked, not saying it couldnt be from the turbo but IMHO i dont feel it is, turbo is an borg warner s362 t3,70ar 3"vband.

OK so its either turbo, RINGS or head-guides, stems an issue like that. I want someone that i can basically colaborate with in this new assembly to install the new rings and gap them with proper tools an such and figure out my issue. . Basically I want someone to go over my work and just give your input on what you would do and what should be replaced or looked at things of that nature. I want to find somewhere i can drop it off with the stand and all and have it looked at. its almost my birthday an the car has been down for awhile and just really really want this thing done, Im way to fustrated with it to work on it anymore but if i have to I will.

This is the 1st time ive had help other than my father, I pride myself in being a back yard mechanic so i would really like a groupe of ppl that have a history behing dsms not just these guys that have made one dsm run 10's. Please let me know what your guys think.

I live in pasco now but can drive whatever back and forth with my fathers truck. PLEASE any input is help, can answer any questions that u might have or photos u might need ask,and if you need my number just pm me.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 PM

also Ive done comp test at 178 across and a leak down that seemed like it was leaking less than 15% this is also one reason why i dont believe it the ring and could be a cylinder head issue.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:47 PM

Sounds like you need some much needed input here. Turning that crank and expecting it to hold up to anything like this is very unwise. We would be more then happy to build a relationship with you and figure out best plan of attack to take. Zlatan of darkside performance would be your best bet in getting great hard to find information and also making sure your setup is what it needs to be. He has built countless setups locally with great success. If you wish to setup a appointment please call us anytime at 8887651500 7 days a week. thanks
[h=1][/h]
Old 11-02-2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the input ill call and see what i can work out, but the crank issue never seen a crank fail or go out of round that was cut, buschur runs one or he did. ill c what darkside has to say and will replace if needed. ANY other info will be great.
I would like to get all dsm's shops mechanics in and see where my baby will be best fit at.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:01 PM

loose ring gaps dont cause oil burning. I have run far looser with perfect results. ring seal is largely misunderstood. rings dont seal from the ring tension itself. it relies on cylinder pressure from behind ring. that pressure gets there through the ring gaps. so large gaps are more likely to seal well .

my educated guess from doing this longer than anyone around is that your cylinder head is causing the oil burning. when the guides were hammered out of head the aluminum gets galled. so new guide does not seal to aluminum like it should. leaves a pathway for oil to drip right down outside edge of guide.
my favorite quote
"if the solution is simple, God is answering"
Old 11-03-2011, 01:12 AM

Great information! is it still plausible even though the intake side was completely dry? and only the exhaust guides were damaged in the process? I have the worst of luck for this to happen to me. how do i see if this did happen do i need to remove the guides or could i spot it by eye

do you recommend I take it back to clearwater cylinder heads and tell em to disemble it and look or just find somewhere else, maybe look for another head ........ Thanks for the input lancerman, I reallly appreciate the time you help with this.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:58 AM

the exhaust guides get much hotter than intake side. so its more likely to happen on exhaust side but can happen to intakes as well. you will be able to tell quite easy which are leaking. the guide will look oily. easiest fix is remove springs leak test and seal top of leaking guides with grey silicon.
my favorite quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:08 AM

its true jerry has been around for a long time.

hes really old. ... are you using a walker yet lancerman?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:36 AM

The ports are cleaned out now which is unfortunate but 3 out of the 4 ports were oily so it was harder to get that it could be the guides, if its pressure tested and maybe sprayed with water will they show up an leak ? can i use like grey silicone from advance?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:12 PM

I havent had to leak check any. I will always look at guides when manifolds are removed if i am looking for oil burn problems. I would think carb cleaner sprayed at spring base would reveal leaks. grey silicon from anywhere. grey compound is made to adhere to oily surfaces. but that doesnt mean you dont need to clean surface first. it still should be a clean and dry as possible.
my favorite quote

Quick Reply: I need to have a block checked and assembled, good shop/wiseman