Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

Why are DSMs reputed for being unreliable?

Old 02-01-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are DSMs reputed for being unreliable?

Before people come rushing in to tell me about crankwalk (or to defend DSMs) let it be known that I do know my fair share about 4G63s, DSMs, and what not. I just have always heard "DSMs are unreliable" from everyone I have known. I could never find anyone who could back this up with so and so breaks every 5K miles, the transmission is fragile or any other explanation for how they are unreliable. In fact from what I've seen DSMs are blessed in the transmission department compared to the majority of Nissans and newer Hondas (correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 02-01-2011, 04:23 PM
TR Shop Mod

They are not really unreliable. My wife's car ran just fine. Don't get me wrong, the trans did go out. But the trans that was in the car came out of a 500+ hp dsm that got its ass handed to it. So it was a ticking time bomb from the beginning. Everything else that went out on the car was due to parts that were 10 years old taking a shit. We put a new starter, and alternator in the car. Parts don't last forever. Problem that I have found, is that people like to wait too long before they fix the problem. Stock parts are made to handle stock power. Pushing stock parts causes them to fail. Just my .02. This is just based on things I have seen both down here and up north in NY.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Tig Welder/Fabricator

Originally Posted by SixCylinders
Before people come rushing in to tell me about crankwalk (or to defend DSMs) let it be known that I do know my fair share about 4G63s, DSMs, and what not. I just have always heard "DSMs are unreliable" from everyone I have known. I could never find anyone who could back this up with so and so breaks every 5K miles, the transmission is fragile or any other explanation for how they are unreliable. In fact from what I've seen DSMs are blessed in the transmission department compared to the majority of Nissans and newer Hondas (correct me if I'm wrong).
The reputation stems from the majority of DSMers being DIYers, and since some are broke/cheap the jobs rigged or shit parts were used leading to inevitable failures.

There are many DSMs that are reliable and never left their operators stranded. But you always hear about the bad stories versus the good ones.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:48 PM
FL,..gods waiting room!!

I drive my dsm everyday, granted I dont beat on it. It starts everytime. give somewhat ok gas mileage 23hwy. It all depends on the care put into the car.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:01 PM

almost every dsm sees some sort of mod in there life time, problem is that 50% of people that mod it dont know what there doing so they blow it up...

those 50% tell everyone and there mother to never buy a dsm....

They story of dsms being unreliable is born
Old 02-01-2011, 05:49 PM
ryu
JUDGE RACING

Originally Posted by CODE4
The reputation stems from the majority of DSMers being DIYers, and since some are broke/cheap the jobs rigged or shit parts were used leading to inevitable failures.

There are many DSMs that are reliable and never left their operators stranded. But you always hear about the bad stories versus the good ones.
Bingo!

FP Red/Stock Block- 10.301@132.93mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2CqirgpFeM

Hta3582 w-.63Tial/Stock Block- 9.96@139.83mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxjaKUnUZNk

Tampa's Quickest Mitsubishi

JUDGE RACING
Join us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Judge-Racing/203463879689026

Sponsored by:
MAPerformance

Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 PM

I have put over 100k miles on my DSM in the last 6 years. It has been on a tow truck twice. Once right after I got it due to the p/o not tightening a control arm down, and a second time when it got hydrolocked in a tsunami (again, user error...) Did I mention most of those miles are pizza delivery? lol

Thats closing in on 200k miles on the stock trans...oh and you can definitely ghetto-rig shit and still be reliable. lol
Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Tampa Bay Tuned Inc.

i used to drive my built GSX back and forth from Orlando every single week...I put over 30,000 miles on it in one year just driving everywhere...I had lots of fun with it...of course things break, but i wouldn't say that DSM's are any less reliable than any other tuner car...people build the 4G63 because they require minimal mods to make them quick/fast...it is hands down, IMO, the most reliable and effective powerplant that has come out of Japan.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:42 PM

i love some awd dsm power lol
Old 02-01-2011, 09:51 PM

I'm glad everyone pretty much confirmed what I thought. Cyloc's story is pretty much one of those few ones I've seen casually going through the dedicated DSM forums, 500hp on an automatic is pretty ridiculous for a Nissan which is what I'm familiar with...maybe it's possible on a Nissan RWD automatic but FWD/AWD? Definitely not.

Either way guys thank you for disproving the stupid myths I hear floating around about these cars. I sat in a 1995 Eclipse today at the junkyard and I loved the way it fit me. I know this isn't really the place for it but the seats in it were VERY clean grey cloth and if anyone's looking for them I can pull them for you if there's some money in it for me. Maybe someday I can get my hands on a 1991 AWD and see for myself how fun they are.