Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

What just happened?? (other than DSM voodoo)

Old 07-20-2010, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What just happened?? (other than DSM voodoo)

sorry for the novel, lol, but if you have any input on this it would help me out alot.

I was picking up some tires today at a friends shop, and when I was leavin there were some dude outside houndin me to do a burnout when I was leaving. Normally I wouldnt indulge but Im changing my tires tomorrow anyway so I thought what the hell. Light em up a bit, roll off.

Now when the revs came back down and the car starts to idle after I pulled up to a light, the car is struggling to idle and runs real lean. Like 18.5:1. Then after like 20 seconds it will trim itself back to 14.7.

So I was like, damn...thats what I get for being irresponsible, I fucking broke something or sprung a boost leak. So I drive real slow out to west Hillsborough from ybor. Car is actually running real good, except at idle. So on the way back I decide to get on it merging onto 275 and DAMMNN the car hauls ass now. I look at the AFR...and its pegged at 10:1 right where it should be with no tune.

For the past year Ive been having problems with fuel delivery, and have tried everything I could think of to fix it. At WOT, it used to read about 12:1AFR. After Id been driving on the highway for about a half hour, some how it would richen up to about 11.3-11.5:1 (keep in mind this is a stockish setup at stock boost with no tune so it should be like 9.8:1) I ended up just assuming it was my 5 year old wideband controller malfunctioning. But after feeling the difference today compared to the readings it really does seem to be working correctly.

So anyway I've got to assume now that this idle problem is related to my fuel delivery issue. What could cause the car to run real lean at WOT, and run great everywhere else, and then all of a sudden cause it to run SUPER lean at idle, and run great at mid throttle and WOT??

First thought is boost leaks. So I will test that tomorrow but Im pretty sure its sealed up tight...it was a week ago and its only been on 10psi..with very little hard driving. Plus it runs fine after you get off idle.

Again sorry for the novel but Ive been dealing with this shit for over a year and really would like to put an end to worrying about popping my motor. Any help is appreciated
Old 07-20-2010, 06:39 PM

Will its a dsm...it happens. Mine used to do things like that, then fall on its face randomly.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:43 PM

and any idea what it was?? lol

Im about to go take it out again and see how it feels. I bet its back to running like poop the next time I fire it up. God it was good for those 20 miles though. lol
Old 07-20-2010, 06:51 PM

Mine was a boost leak at the bov when hot and I found silicone of all types clogging the coolant to the turbo, in the banjo bolt in the block.

My car was epic for stock + hard ic pipes and free mods in the first 5 min after it was heated up. After that no balls, random smoke from the engine bay after long drives at speed. I found those two shits, ran like a champ.

So basically look at the little stupid things that almost dont make since. Thats how I found my issues.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:58 PM

Heh yeah I figure its gotta be something retarded. Ive done things like pull the fuel pump to check the seal, replaced the crappy fuel sending unit line, re-re wired the pump with 8ga wire lol, up to replacing sensors, trying to tune the problem away....nothing.

I do one damn ricer burnout and it clears up. I need to know why!! lol Cause I know its not gonna stay fixed. Plus the lean idle is still a problem.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 PM

Fuel filter, spark plugs (correct gap and heat range), wires, coils, transistor, all look good? What about the vacuum lines to the fpr, etc? Double check all the connectors and check that the alternator wiring is fine ( I had a completely fubar'd alt connector, all kinds of issues).

Last edited by wishiwasfast; 07-20-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:56 PM

Oh. Check on the alternator plug. Thing is shattered. lol. Thanks Ill check that out...where did you get the connector btw? Any idea what car I can get one off of?

What about the alternator charging wire? I guess I should probably redo that too. I did all the grounds.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:51 AM

I apoxyed mine back together. I couldn't find another one.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:52 AM

lol congrats on your ride home man. hopefully the issue turns out to be stupid shit like we talked about

Originally Posted by SayWhaa?
guess some of the guys shes sleeping with isnt too good with the whole pull out method..
Originally Posted by evlonedb
someone needs to tell her its a vagina,not a clown car!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:01 AM
92 DSM AWD

First off your driving around for over a year with out a tune??????? ok, thats another issue, when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? Im not pointing that out as the problem, but certianly driving with out a tune for over a year is a problem with the owner not the DSM.

Also after your little burn out there, you may just have a simple vac issue, which would explain the idle issue and not an issue after tip in, once your on the throttle it changes. during your burnout your building enough pressure to possible cause a small vac issue. It def seems like something that had just been loosened up during that burnout. If your idle was fine up till that very moment and then just after your having these issues It sucks but I would check the entire motor.

Last edited by enash99; 07-21-2010 at 07:06 AM.