Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

weight reduction ??s

Old 05-18-2002, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the rule of thumb as far as weight reduction vs. effective horsepower gains. I have started a major diet and am wondering how crazy I should get. so far its lost:

rear seat
passengers seat
all seatbelts but drivers
abs modultaor and electornics (about 30 lbs or so)
sound deadening under rear seat
spare tire and jack etc.

The rear three windows are flat glass which means I can go plexi/lexan fairly easy just curious how much more of a gain I could see without having to go out and check my pant seat meter which is feeling off lately due to the gearing not being quite right currently.

Old 05-18-2002, 10:09 AM

Very roughly every 100lb is a MPH and .1 in the quarter when removing weight from the vehicle body removing rotational weight from the wheels & tires is a different story since the power is being used to rotate/accelarate the wheel & tire directly a little weight loss here goes a long way.
1990 Plymouth Laser RS-T (Organ Donor) 13.19 @ 110 MPH
Old 05-18-2002, 04:09 PM

yeah Im gonna get to that soon enough but thats to address a different problem entirely....... think I am going back to a 225/50/16 tire or perhaps even a 225/40/16 to try and get my gearing back to something with a little more umph. will also be experimenting with gears as money permits...... getting injectors at the moment and trying to keep things progressing smoothly.....

Ill be removing the headlight motors tomorrow and replacing them with fabricated arms to hold them in position since there is some electrical bug I dont feel like messing with preventing the motors from operating..... something with the switch or something...... oh well........ those suckers weigh like 15 lbs each so good riddance!

all in all I strongly believe the car has lost a good 200 lbs AT LEAST so Ill continue down this route for a while and see how far I can take it.
Old 05-18-2002, 06:21 PM

Im heading out to a truck scale near here in a little bit hopefully if all goes well Ill have a weight for this thing tonight.
Old 05-18-2002, 06:35 PM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

remember if you go with lexan for windows you will be in the pro class if you were to ever compete with the car.
Old 05-18-2002, 07:35 PM
Rod Bearing Eater

Every 100lbs lost is going to seem like you added 10hp. Also remember if you cannot remove something than relocate it. Car balance is also very important at the strip or the road course. I think the general rule for road racing is 50/50(?) front rear distribution and in drag racing you want most of the weight to transfer over the driving wheels if possible (in FWD that would mean making the car front heavy since weight transfer is always rearward during acceleration)
Old 05-18-2002, 07:58 PM

weighed in at a whopping 2840 lbs minus driver so add 170 for me. I had my subs in the hatch when I weighed it and its losing at least another 50 lbs tomorrow so I am happy so far.

mpbiv: car should be about a perfect 50/50 split right now or damn near since they were 57/43 or something like that with stock drivetrain and my drivetrain weighs considerably less.