Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

hey guys need help

Old 08-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Mitsu SON!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey guys need help

I have posted in a while but i have an 01 spyder gt.

I have a misfire on cylinder one so i figure new spark plugs and wires is all i'll need. Now when it comes to older eclipses i know my stuff but with the v6 i'm completely lost. Should i just save some time and take it to a mechanic or is this a simple do it yourself task. I've heard you have to remove the intake manifold on the v6 to replace the plugs and wires?

If anyone could help i'd appreciate it. I've tried to other forums for help but got tha cold shoulder hopefully someone could point me in the rite driection. Thanx yall
Old 08-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Resident Galant Guy

I would start by checking to see if the misfire was there, how bad is it? or is this one of those after a while, and it throws a CEL? Id at the least buy 1 plug and put that in and swap around some wires before you start throwing money at the problem. You should be able to do this yourself, its simple tune up stuff.
93 300ZX 2+2
Old 08-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Mitsu SON!!!

yea i figured replace the cylinder 1 wire (thats where the misfire is)
I wasn't sure if i should just replace one or get them all out of the way tha car has 98k on it so i'm tryin to take care of it as much as possible. I'll prolly just try the wire and see how that goes thanx 91tsi
Old 08-06-2009, 04:03 PM
DSMPowered

I would suggest plugs, then wires, and not sure if they have a coil pack or what, but if so, that could be another issue. I would run a diagnosis on it

Old 08-06-2009, 04:24 PM

Usually on v6s you do have to take off the intake...

At least the Jagaurs we deal with at work alot they have to be done like that. Painnn
Old 08-06-2009, 06:00 PM

i had an 01 v6 eclipse. in order to change the plugs and/or wires, you have to take the intake manifold off. there is no way around it. it isnt hard at all but just a serious pain in the ass....
Nothing, you told her twice.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:52 PM
"JDMKonvict"

If your throwing a cel for misfire cylinder 1 do you have any other cels that might go along with that?? Have you connected a computer yet to see what codes your car might be throwing?
Old 08-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Mitsu SON!!!

Yea my mechanic put a computer to it and thats how i found out about the misfire. But if i can just get by with changing one i'ma do that but if its ultimately better just to do all i'll have to do that.

Dsm gst: did u do it ur self or have a mechanic do it? I dont wanna take it to my mechanic cuz its gonna cost me out the ass.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:17 PM

If you have to take the intake manifold off, you're going to want to change all of them at once. Unless you want to take the manifold off again next week to change the #2 plug...not to mention spark plugs are like, $2?
Old 08-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Mitsu SON!!!

Yea but i can and have worked on the 420a and 4g63 thats in the 1 and 2g but this motor is a whole new thing for me so i'm tryin to learn but wtf i got all day 2 maro to fiddle with it thanx everyone for the help rep'd