Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

oil in the coolant

Old 07-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in the coolant

ok,so my car is a 2ga with a 6bolt;

i am running into a slight little issue... when i swapped my oil cooled 60trim out for a oil&water cooled 35r i noticed i have oil in my coolant... i have checked the oil only to find it is completely untainted and still fresh from the last change. this leads me to believe i dont have a blown head gasket, this and the fact the engine is still 100% strong, no stuttering, cross firing, no smoke, no over heating, ect. the only other thing i can think that would cause this is either a cracked head (not thinking is the cause) or the o ring that seperates the oil from the coolant inside of the stock oil cooler (more likely). my reasoning behind believing this is the cause is because i seem to have pretty high oil pressure during heavy excelleration up top. my aem gauge only registers up to 100psi, and it will exceed this up top from about 7k up. i havent yet pulled the oil filter and filter stud to remove the housing and inspect the o ring. would it be possible for the oil pressure to just push the oil past the o ring in the oil cooler (but not blowing out the o ring) therefore at idle and lower oil pressures the coolant wouldnt back feed into the oil? i am going to be pulling the engine out this coming weekend for a furthur examination and check the tolerances on everything else. i have ordered a new mls headgasket and will be putting that on as well asset of L19 arp's.

if anyone has any other thoughts or idea's of what could be contributing to this, please chime in with some furthur input. thank you.

Last edited by dsm_gst; 07-13-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:46 PM

Sounds like a compression test is in order..

Since the oil pressure is so high it could just be pushing oil into the coolant through a small crack in the headgasket; maybe the pressure in the cooling system isn't enough to push it back the other way?
Old 07-13-2009, 08:37 PM
JR.

like u said, most likely it is the oil cooler.
i fucked 2 of them because i was bolting up the oil filter to tight.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:43 PM

thank ya'll for your input. ill let you know what i find out soon
Old 07-14-2009, 04:14 PM

im predy sure the oil is going through your turbo and seeping through one of the seals and geting in the coolant reason i believe this is there is no coolant in the motor oil correct?
and the oil psi is a lot more than the coolent psi so thats probably y theres no coolent in the motor oil and the fact this is happening after the oil to oil/water turbo swap ...... i belive u just need to get your turbo fitted w/ new seals hope i was some help
Old 07-14-2009, 04:25 PM

if turbo is water cooled a cracked housing can put oil in the water. far more likely you have a bad oil cooler. they go bad quite often. I have some here if you need one.
my favorite quote
"if the solution is simple, God is answering"
Old 07-14-2009, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by crx_k24
im predy sure the oil is going through your turbo and seeping through one of the seals and geting in the coolant reason i believe this is there is no coolant in the motor oil correct?
and the oil psi is a lot more than the coolent psi so thats probably y theres no coolent in the motor oil and the fact this is happening after the oil to oil/water turbo swap ...... i belive u just need to get your turbo fitted w/ new seals hope i was some help
the only thing about what you said is that the turbo is brand new. not used or remanned. straight from garrett.... im not sure if that would have been one of the first things that would have crossed my mind. lol thank you for your input.

Originally Posted by lancerman
if turbo is water cooled a cracked housing can put oil in the water. far more likely you have a bad oil cooler. they go bad quite often. I have some here if you need one.
shoot me a pm on a price for one please jerry.

well i have everything ready and am pulling it tomorrow. updates to come soon.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT AND IDEAS!