Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

Ticking while accelerating

Old 06-22-2009, 03:53 AM
howie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking while accelerating

Have a problem, While accelerating i hear a ticking sound from the engine bay. ticking sound gets louder as rpms rise. I still get full boost tho. Not sure if i can have a boost leak while still boosting full . and its only while acclerating. at idle you can't hear it. if i rev it you can't hear it. Only while accelerating. Car also feels slower. Not sure what it can be. I triple checked all hoses pipes etc. What should be my next step?
Old 06-22-2009, 04:52 AM

I had a problem with a head making a ticking noise. But you could hear it all the time. We took the valve cover off and pushed on the rocker arms and they just fell off. You could try it haha. I doubt thats your problem but worth a shot. make sure they are all tight when you push on it.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:56 AM
Resident Galant Guy

most "ticking" sounds that ive have heard from engines with an RPM rise has been a small exhaust leak. Does it get less noisy when the car gets hot? or constant all the time?

Boost leaks dont tick, valve train does, kinda a long shot on that but, ive seen worse.

also yes you can reach full boost with a leak. efficiency decreases and turbo life is lowered
93 300ZX 2+2
Old 06-22-2009, 06:13 AM
^ HIGH...My Name Is

lifters???
92 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
90 Acura Integra LS
94 Honda Civic ex coupe
90 Honda Civic std hatch
90 Acura integra LS
91 Acura Integra GS
98 Acura Integra RS
90 Acura Integra LS
93 Acura Integra RS
91 Acura Integra LS
90 Acura Integra LS
92 Acura Integra Gs-R
Old 06-22-2009, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Needfstwheelz
lifters???
that would go with what i said matt.. and if he was having a lifter TICk...it would be at idle and rev...then eventually stop or in some cases not stop but he would hear it all the time..
Old 06-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Pure Evil

Originally Posted by rairai
I had a problem with a head making a ticking noise. But you could hear it all the time. We took the valve cover off and pushed on the rocker arms and they just fell off. You could try it haha. I doubt thats your problem but worth a shot. make sure they are all tight when you push on it.
the rocker arms will just fall off if there is no cam tension on them to hold them in place. nothing actually holds them down other then the cam
Old 06-22-2009, 07:36 AM

Ya i know but it makes a ticking noise. I know from experience lol
Old 06-22-2009, 08:15 AM
howie

Originally Posted by 91TSI_AWD
most "ticking" sounds that ive have heard from engines with an RPM rise has been a small exhaust leak. Does it get less noisy when the car gets hot? or constant all the time?

Boost leaks dont tick, valve train does, kinda a long shot on that but, ive seen worse.

also yes you can reach full boost with a leak. efficiency decreases and turbo life is lowered
Noise gets louder when engine gets hot. When motor is cool you cant hear it for the first mile while acclerating. After the motor gets warm you can start to hear the ticking. Car was fine on the way down to clearwater yesterday, as soon as i arrived it started to act funny. I replaced my exhaust manifold gasket last week because it was leaking. after i replaced the gasket the leak was fixed and i checked for exhaust leaks but didnt find anything. I reved the motor from the engine bay but cant hear the ticking unless im behind the wheel and accelerating. So im still up in the air on what is wrong. ??
Old 06-22-2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by howeeez
Noise gets louder when engine gets hot. When motor is cool you cant hear it for the first mile while acclerating. After the motor gets warm you can start to hear the ticking. Car was fine on the way down to clearwater yesterday, as soon as i arrived it started to act funny. I replaced my exhaust manifold gasket last week because it was leaking. after i replaced the gasket the leak was fixed and i checked for exhaust leaks but didnt find anything. I reved the motor from the engine bay but cant hear the ticking unless im behind the wheel and accelerating. So im still up in the air on what is wrong. ??
You may actually have a warped exhaust manifold flange or (less likely) the head is warped where the manifold mates to it. That will cause you to destroy manifold gaskets, and would explain why it was fixed when you replaced the gasket but reappeared after a short amount of time.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:48 PM
howie

Sorry guys, I pulled a dumb dumb move!!! I starred at my engine for 20min and realized that all the turbo to manifold bolts were loose and manifold to head bolts were loose. Should of torqued the bolts with a torque wrench instead of muscle guessing them on. Damn it. Thanks for the help everyone I appreciate it. Thread can be closed