Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

V mount set up in a 1G

Old 02-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Mazderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V mount set up in a 1G

I'm looking at the upgrade path for a 1G Talon TSi and was thinking of trying to sqeeze a Vmount set up rather than a FMIC set up in the car ( I dont want to block airflow to the rad as 4g63s seem to run hot). Has anyone done or seen a vmount on 1st gen dsms?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:46 PM
OG MUDBONE 240sx

i dont know, i think thats kinda hard unless its a rwd application. by v-mount you mean the intercooler up in front of the engine laying flat?

Old 02-25-2008, 04:20 AM
Mazderator

The intercooler does not have to lay flat just in a v configuration to allow air to hit the intercooler and rad at the same time.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:29 AM
OG MUDBONE 240sx

i dunno, like i said ive only seen this in rwd since theres plenty of room in front of the engine. if you really dont want a front mount, you can go water/air intercooler with a heat exchanger. i have never heard how well this works though, and i couldnt see it being very practical for a street car. just get a 180 thermostat. i have whatever the stock thermostat is, and my car runs around 200 degrees and never goes much over with a front mount.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:56 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

I've never seen it done. Try to fit an S-cover turbo between the engine and the radiator and you'll see just how little space there really is. I'd say you should just get some of the high-flow OEM fans people use on other applications but those don't fit either. You're stuck with one slimline low-flow crap fan.

The key is proper ducting boxing in and sealing off the holes in the front bumper so all of the air that enters them is forced through the intercooler and then the radiator. People install FMICs, rip out the stock ducting and never replace it. I made a simple lower plate that connected the front bumper cover to the lower radiator support and I saw a noticeable drop in temperature. Maybe some heat extractors right behind the radiator, right behind the turbo, but those were always too ricey/showy for my taste.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:51 PM
13.04@104mph

Originally Posted by Jordan Y.
Maybe some heat extractors right behind the radiator, right behind the turbo, but those were always too ricey/showy for my taste.
pics of these extractors?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:38 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

I was using it as a fancy-pants term for vents in the hood right over the turbo. Just think of an Evo hood. Air can flow out of them once it goes through the radiator. There are a ton of possibilities and some of them are fairly stealthy but I couldn't bring myself to do it to a car that didn't come that way from the factory.