Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

Pain in the a#$

Old 03-24-2001, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to throw this whole exhaust system into the damn bay. I removed all of the exhaust manifold bolts ok some of them came out as studs and I also removed the 4 bolts holding the turbocharger unto the manifold( one of the things appeared to be stripped at the bottom WTF!!) but one of them came off as a nut leaving a stud in place and therfore the damn manifold wont slide back because of the hung stud ie: it wont pull towards me. so I figured that I may need to disconnect the exhaust pipe flange from the side of the turbo (4 bolts) guess what the first one I try friggin breaks off inside the damn turbo! Basically I think I have to remove the 2 bolt flange from the bottom of the turbo underneath the car(two 19 mm bolts) and move the exhaust sideways to make the turbo drop down and then the manifold will come off.I will have to just live with the one bolt missing after all I will probably have a new turbo on it on the inside of six months and I think it broke leaving some threads inside so it is still sealed. Ghetto fabulous 100 friggin percent. If they had used all bolts to bolt down the turbo this whole job would have taken only 40 minutes but know it is past the 3 hour mark and I am getting pissed off. Oh wellI figure any car that I bought that is 11 years old there is always going to be some kind of repair that is a pain in the neck
Old 03-24-2001, 09:22 PM

These are all normal things you are coming across. No need to worry. I had to Helicoil my head this weekend for the new mani. What people usually do is replace that turbo stud with another bolt. You can just yank that stud out.
Old 03-24-2001, 10:10 PM
bad ass fonzie

so if I can get that stud out then I am home free. Gosh this going to be fun. I think I am just going to leave the one in the side broken since the turbo will eveatually be replced. I should have the car out next saturday at the north tampa location yall can come and look at my handywork I only paid 2800 bucks for the thing so I dont mid doing some work