Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

Broke a dsm before pruchase!

Old 03-20-2001, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was test driving the dsm I am going to buy and it runs pretty well I was expecting a little more performance but it is bone stock. I did an awd launch and blew the damn heater hose that goes under the injector rail...she was asking is it supposed to do that when white smoke was coming from under the hood...lol She only lived 3/4 of a mile away so she limped it home and parked it. Haha nobody else can get it now. I guess it is pretty quick it probably could use a new filter and deletion of the catalytic converter though I cant even hardly hear the damn thing and it has like zero bottom end power but very fun to drive none the less. As soon as I sell my damn ugly truck...
Old 03-20-2001, 06:45 AM
red ass

you open up the exhaust and intake on these cars and youll notice a huge gain in lower end. They have a very restrictive intake and exhaust!

eric
Old 03-20-2001, 07:26 AM

AHAHAHAHA! You lost your cherry. Welcome to the club. Put a $750 3 turbo back no cat and youll see great gain in power. I have it on my car if you want to see it.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by "Someone"

Originally posted by Ugly-Jeep-Truck
I guess it is pretty quick it probably could use a new filter and deletion of the catalytic converter though.
I think Emo ran a 15 flat at 89 or something just by cutting the aircan and removing a restrictor in the boost control solenoid. 1.9 60 on the stock clutch and 100000 some odd mile motor. I ran this time with basically an air filter full exhaust fuel pump and boost control. If the car is running right you could do better then this. That gives you an idea. Those mods ran about 10MPH faster and 1.5 seconds quicker then stock.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:16 AM

Thanks guys for the inof I was thinking that removing the exhaust would net some gains I think I am going to put a clutch in first then the rear end(it has posi but woopty shit its a 3 bolt) and then Ill do the fuel upgrades so I can slap a 16g on it. I am hooked on this awd thing. Funny thing is she actually had the hoses from the dealer sitting in a little plastic dsm dealer bag because the mechanic told her they were ok... she is a friend so I am glad it happened while close to home.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:30 AM

I would replace the upper innercooler piping and drop a K&N in there and boost it with a upgraded fuel pump before doing the exhaust.
Do some free mods like build a EGR block plate and test pipe.
Remove the water line to the Throttle Body. Warning this may cause funky idle at start up but once the car is warm it will idle normal
http://www27.brinkster.com/awd16g/
Old 03-20-2001, 10:55 AM

So how much abuse can the 3 bolt rear take? after doing the fuel and exhaust mods will that be enough power to grenade it? I think the water line that goes to the throttle body is the one that broke!! A suggestion perhaps...
Old 03-20-2001, 11:04 AM

You wont be in danger until 16G FMIC bigger injectors tunning equip 20+ PSI etc. Low 12s on a hard launch will snap it. Depends on track conditions. I doubt it will happen on the street. Tires will spin on the street. The problem is the track. The VHT really hurts AWD more then helps us. We like a little wheel spin. Now that Desoto is prepped beware.
Old 03-20-2001, 12:32 PM

too be honest I really just want a haul ass street car so if I never run it at the track Ill probably never break the rear end?? Thats pretty damn cool cause I live too far from desoto to make the pilgrimige often. I just want something to piss off lt-1 and mustang drivers... It does have the lsd rear b/c there is a warning sticker in the door well about not to run the car with a rear tire jacked up why on earth would I do somehting to that effect?
Old 03-20-2001, 12:43 PM

Actually that warning is for the Viscous coupling in the trans. If you tow it with only 2 wheels off the ground it will overheat the viscous coupler and weld itself together. Not good. Always use a flat bed for AWD.

As far as the rear end....never say never man. The actuall diff doesnt fail. I think the axles snap first. It all depends on how you drive it and launch it. If you are hard on it you may break it sooner. If you are cutting some mean launches on the street it could still happen. Running 18PSI on a common full blown 16G setup youll be ok.