Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

Question about dsm purchase

Old 03-02-2001, 01:22 PM
I can freeze time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I came to the realizarion I want an awd dsm and low and behold a friend is selling an unmolested 90 gsx for 2500 bucks. The body and interior are perfect the engine has a new timing belt all oil changes were performed on time and she has maintenece records! Yes she! I heard they have electrical probs but this one has given no probs to her and she does not abuse it but what should I look for that may be dsm specific warning signs of impending trouble cause I have a month until she moves away and I was given first dibs on the thing. DSM gods give me your answers!
35-100mm f/2 Zuiko Digital
50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED SWD Zuiko Digital
Cybersync wireless trigger
FL-36R, FL-50R, Metz-48, and Vivitar 285HV x 3
Old 03-02-2001, 02:31 PM

Your going to have to look at the bottom of the ECU and look for leaking capacitors.

check this site out for help
http://www.tmo.com/howto/ecu1g/caps.htm

------------------
Thats Mr. to you
95 Eclipse GS-T
89 MR2 NA

-Eric
Old 03-02-2001, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by "Someone"

Originally posted by Ugly-Jeep-Truck:
Well I came to the realizarion I want an awd dsm and low and behold a friend is selling an unmolested 90 gsx for 2500 bucks. The body and interior are perfect the engine has a new timing belt all oil changes were performed on time and she has maintenece records! Yes she! I heard they have electrical probs but this one has given no probs to her and she does not abuse it but what should I look for that may be dsm specific warning signs of impending trouble cause I have a month until she moves away and I was given first dibs on the thing. DSM gods give me your answers!
90s are really bad with electrical problems. She hasnt had probelms because she hasnt been in there messing with things. My roomates (emodsm) 90 didnt have problems till we starting modding it. Mostly wiring harness crap. Problems with conectors that stop working. Replaced all of the injector clips they fell apart. Coil back clip is fubar.

A weak rear end that can be swapped out to a 4-bolt one. Pretty crappy tranny when you start racing it but we have ways around that as well.The good thing about 90-91. BIG RODS! No kidding 500HP stock bottom end. Buschur racing has done 600. I say 500 for a non profesional tuner. If you can deal with little electrical problems go for it. Youll never be happier with the resonse you get from simple mods like a 3 turbo back exhaust for $750 K&N and a boost controller to run some mid 13s. Let me know when you get it and Ill send you to some links to get you started. Leaking ECU caps can be a problem on all the cars 89-94. Someone in the club sells the replace ments for $5. Solder them yourself or have someone do it for nothing. http://www.dsm.org read that for a week.

Old 03-02-2001, 04:51 PM

Check for wet marks around the output shaft of the transfer case for a blown gasket in the front where the driveshaft starts. There is a recall to fix it for life and is free. Get it done before you mod it. Thats really about it. Find out when the timing belt was redone and what was replaced. If the timing belt and balance belt where done. You will want to know because they need them every 50K miles to be safe. Find out if the timing belt tensioner was replaced. Along with any of the timing pullies water pump and oil pump. Doesnt have to be done but find out if you can because you will want to replace those next time.
Old 03-02-2001, 05:37 PM
Olde Skool DSM'r

I have a 94 so I cant comment on the electrical problems but... I can tell you that when I got my car I replaced the ECU caps right away to be safe. It took less than an hour start to finish with minimal experience. Use the link Mr 2 posted for part numbers and instructions.

The 3 bolt axles are supposed to be good for low 13s high 12s. You can use them while you learn baout the car and make it quicker then swap them out for 4 bolt in the future.

The Transfer case recall/leak is not that big of a deal. I went through HELL with mine trying to find a dealer who would do the work... long story. But in the end I did it myself in about an hour for about $35.00 (seal and Yoke).

Id say go ahead and buy it mod it and keep emodsms phone number handy...

------------------
Joe
94TSiAWD
http://tampabay.dsm.org/members/jbucci
13.001 @ 106.55
Old 03-02-2001, 05:57 PM
Olde Skool DSM'r

In the words of the owner the timing belt and all that crap was changed about 20k ago @120k total miles which are now at 140. I appreciate he help guys this car is a done deal as soon as I sell my truck. I rode in 16gawds car and I am pumped I want a car that cun run sub 2 sec 60 in the rain! Hahahaha. I read the article on the capacitor change which seems easy enoughas my last job involed all kinds of soldering work on pager crystals and aother small b.s. stuff I also work part time at an auto parts store so should any minor stuff go bad I get a good discount. So once I get this thing they wont know if the parts are for mine or not so I can get yall discounts on stuff once I have the car. Basically I want a car that looks bone stock that I can piss off mustang owners with which I might even get rid of the ugly aluminuim wheels it came stock with they are friggin hideous. We basically I will comnsult yall before I do anything to it as I am sure yall have broken all the weak parts already and can give me advice as to not repeat stuff that not need repeated! Thanks again guys.
Old 03-03-2001, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by "Someone"

Originally posted by Ugly-Jeep-Truck:
I rode in 16gawds car and I am pumped I want a car that cun run sub 2 sec 60 in the rain!
Just found the timeslip you handed me from that run.....

60 was 1.756

I think his clutch was toast for half of the night too

------------------
Charles
89 240sx - 14.089@100.64(2.380) 14.139@102.81(2.36
00 EBP Civic SI -15.685@88.07 (2.360)
Old 03-04-2001, 05:40 PM
gamehen

sweet dsm loving

NS Racing