Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

Motor Mount Question - 1g Talon TSI

Old 06-29-2007, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Motor Mount Question - 1g Talon TSI

I have polyurethane mounts for my 1g. The car shakes quite a lot during idle, the dash shakes, my keys shake in the ignition, the data logger shakes, change shakes in the coinbox, the battery box shakes in the trunk, everything shakes! Its almost untolerable to drive daily.

*I realize going to these mounts that they would do this, but i was curious to know wheather going to stock mounts and running a custom mounted(im assuming what it is called) adjustable "torsion bar" or "torque bar" set stiff would help reduce a shake at idle yet perform just like polyurethane mounts at the 1/4mile track.*

I know going to these polyurethane mounts benefit in the 1/4 mile times because you lose power when the motor stresses/torque and move back and forth with stock mounts.

I also understand that these "torsion bars" help during the autox. The motor reacts more naturally when you get on and off the throttle.

I cannot find a picture to illustrate what i am talking about regarding the "torsion bar". If someone could help me out finding a picture that would be nice.

How i describe this "torsion bar" from what iv seen, it looks like a hydralic shock somewhat similar to whats put on a hatch of a car to lift the trunk up but much smaller in size for the engine bay.

And also to sort up any confusion on what i am asking, I have put * * to indicate where the question I have asked is stated.

thank you.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 AM

most guys i kno (including me) only run 3 poly mounts......the one on the firewall is left stock. this greatly reduces engine movement but leaves the rubber one on the firewall to absorb the vibration....i have hardly no noticeable vibration at all
Old 06-29-2007, 02:47 PM
BoostAddict

You could do the 3 poly mounts like soccer suggested, and use window weld in the "stock" one. Window weld is hit or miss with alot of the DSM guys though.

I know what you mean by the torsion bar, by the way. Not sure how it would react with our motors though. I'd love to see somebody try that setup and see what the outcome is.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:15 PM
first

Do you still have functioning balance shafts in the motor? At what RPM is your idle set?

Having all poly mounts does cause a lot of vibration, though I've never driven/sat in a DSM with all poly mounts and found it intolerable, so i wonder if you have other mods that exacerbate the vibrations.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:05 PM

its a 2.4 stroker 6bolt set idle 850, with cams.

so the motor will idle rough because of the bigger stroke and cams.

i run a chip from dsmchips and my idle is set to 850 and i have it dialed in.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:45 AM

Didn't know they were called "torsion" bars... I heard they were called torque tension bars or tension bars.

I don't know about running a torque tension bar on stock motor mounts. Could reduce the vibration though if you do think about it. I don't think they make kits for a 1g, I think there's universal kits out there or you can probably make your own.

Nice setup BTW.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:48 AM
first

Originally Posted by SRpower20
its a 2.4 stroker 6bolt set idle 850, with cams.

so the motor will idle rough because of the bigger stroke and cams.

i run a chip from dsmchips and my idle is set to 850 and i have it dialed in.
Does that mean no balance shafts? It sounds like you're stuck with those vibrations. You could put shocks on your seats, though. Then you wouldn't feel it as much.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:27 AM

shocks in my seats lol?

i dont need shocks in my seats, the fabric/cushion does enough, its just the shaking noises that everything in the car puts out, and its also straight exhaust with just one muffler dosnt help that much either lol, but i am getting a new exhaust set up soon.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:04 PM

I don't know how shocks in the seat would help with the keys rattling, coins in the coin tray shaking, dash shaking and what not. Seat probably shakes but not as bad when your weight is on it.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:02 PM
first

I was kidding, fools.

I still don't know if your motor has balance shafts - does it?