Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

I Can't Get My Flywheel Bolts Off!

Old 09-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Green Lantern Corps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Can't Get My Flywheel Bolts Off!

As the title stated, i have tried everything in my power to get these damn bolts off. I've tried the breaker bar and the impact gun but i can't seem to get them off. I've already broke 3 sockets trying to get these bolts out! I was thinking about heating them up and then trying to break them that way. So I was wondering if there could be any other way to get them off beside heating them up? If you have had any success getting these bolts off please help. Thanks

If you're not cracking oil pans your not low
Old 09-12-2006, 12:55 PM
GY-16P

sometimes if you just leave for alittle bit then come back calm for some reason it might work it always happens. to me atleast.

or maybe spray some pb blaster on them let them soak alittle then try.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:21 PM

hit each bolt with a hammer and then the impact gun ...
Old 09-12-2006, 03:40 PM
OG MUDBONE 240sx

i took a cutting wheel and went at it, but that was only for one, the rest i got off fine. just stomp on the breaker bar or somethin lol.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:41 PM
BoostAddict

Correct, usually taking a hammer to the bolts and tapping them, will help loosen up the rust some and make the bolts easier to get off.

If that doesn't work, PB Blaster works great for rusted up bolts. Way better than liquid wrench or the other shit out there.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:10 PM
jtr
the r1pper

try tapping them with a hammer, spray some knock er lose on em and let it soak for a bit, then go at it again, if nothing else, try heatin em up a lil as u stated, u should do fine
Old 09-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Green Lantern Corps

Originally Posted by DsmInduction
i took a cutting wheel and went at it, but that was only for one, the rest i got off fine. just stomp on the breaker bar or somethin lol.
I put metal pole on the end of the breaker bar to get more leverage and i just snapped the 3/4 to 1/2 extension lol. But i think im gonna use the cutting wheel as the last resort lol.

But thanks to everyone who has contributed to this post. I'm gonna pick up the pb blaster tomorrow and im gonna hit the bolts with the hammer hopefully they will come off.

If you're not cracking oil pans your not low
Old 09-12-2006, 06:53 PM
EL RIPPO

Mine were a bitch, but I used my torque wrench and wedged a 3 foot crowbar (huge crowbar) between the flywheel teeth and to the floor of my garage. Came right off. Didnt damage any teeth a bit, (I put in a XACT streetlite anyways.)
Old 09-12-2006, 06:55 PM
EL RIPPO

Originally Posted by PreludeSh98
I put metal pole on the end of the breaker bar to get more leverage and i just snapped the 3/4 to 1/2 extension lol. But i think im gonna use the cutting wheel as the last resort lol.

But thanks to everyone who has contributed to this post. I'm gonna pick up the pb blaster tomorrow and im gonna hit the bolts with the hammer hopefully they will come off.
Yeah, extensions dont work like that, the torque increases by about 33% from the 3/4 to the 1/2. I learned this using my torque wrench 3/4 to 1/2 when tightening my pressure plate bolts. Except the bolts snapped.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Four Door Mafia

I hate stubborn bolts. My craftsman ratchet's handle snapped when I used a breaker bar on it trying to get out an 11 year old O2 sensor from my exhaust manifold.
PB blaster is the way to go...

... atleast the ratchet was free to replace.

Last edited by EconoBox; 09-12-2006 at 07:00 PM.