Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

Piston install question

Old 08-09-2006, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston install question

OK this may be completely retarded of me but I need to ask and get clarification. I have installed pistons before on a previous rebuild and the markings on the piston have always had some thing showing which direction the pistons are suppose to go. Like a little rivet or dimple forged into the pistons. I bought some wiseco's and they have the same dimple however the instructions tell me to put the offset opposite the rotation of the crank. Now if I am correct the offset is the little notch where the wrist pin goes in the pitcure below

Funny thing is, if I put it in that way the markings on the top of the piston showing which direction they are suppose to go in are opposite. Any thoughts?
Old 08-09-2006, 03:06 PM
OG MUDBONE 240sx

on my pistons, the markings are all facing one way.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:03 PM

the large valve cutouts go on the intake side. the bearing tab on the rods is toward the front of the car.
my favorite quote
"if the solution is simple, God is answering"
Old 08-09-2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by DsmInduction
on my pistons, the markings are all facing one way.
The markings are all facing one direction but if I follow the instructions, the markings are facing the tranny side of the 420A where with some other pistons, they face the timing side. I am going to call Wiseco in the morning and get some clarification.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:16 AM

OK, I finally got an email back from someone at Wiseco to call them. As I explained in my earlier post what the instructions reads is, "Installation of the piston offset needs to be set opposite crankshaft rotation. Example, if you viewing the engine from the 'timing side' you rotation should be clockwise or counter clockwise depending on application. Install pistons accordingly". They even have a picture describing it.

I did and I got in touch with a guy named Dwight who was pretty cool about the whole thing and he advised me that some orders that they sent out the had wrong instructions printed and appologized for any inconvienience. He explained that the off set should be going with the rotation not against it. This makes the dimple on top of the piston face the timing side as it should. He also took my address and such to mail out some promotional products for any inconvienience. I am so glad I waited to finish the rebuild until I heard something.