Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

Screeching sound

Old 05-26-2006, 02:54 PM
round and round it go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screeching sound

It started small, not too loud. Now I can destinctivley hear it and when I open my hood. Its coming from the tranny and I dont know why its making this noise. Ive had my right axle replaced and the clutch pedal adjusted a few times (above the clutch pedal). I know how to shift and drive, im not an idiot. Do I need some transmission fluid? I never put any in when the axle was changed, but none came out when the old axle was pulled out. Can someone tell me what I should do. Its some sort of homing, screeching sound and it keeps getting louder. Shifting becomes easy, then hard. Some people say its hard to put my car in gear and they are right but every now and then, I can put it into any gear with no effort. These trannys suck. Can anyone help?

TR "Old Skool EF" Member #150
Old 05-26-2006, 05:50 PM

Go to Auto Zone and by Penzoil Synchromesh. I would buy about 4 bottles, even that much is not needed its still good to have. Change your transmission fluid. Obviously if none came out when you changed the axle then the transmission is really low on fluid. I would recommend you to do this before if any damage has already been caused. Your right the trannies do suck, welcome to the world of owning a 4g63 based car. I've been in your shoes before... twice with 4g63 powered vehicles.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:51 PM
first

Obviously if none came out when you changed the axle then the transmission is really low on fluid.
AGREED!!
Old 05-26-2006, 08:53 PM
previously SLOWBOOST

more than likely thats just putting a band-aid on the problem if its getting worse. you can try the fluid and if your lucky it will work, good luck.

FOR A WOUNDED MAN SHALL SAY TO HIS ASSAILANT
'IF I LIVE, I WILL KILL YOU. IF I DIE, YOU ARE FORGIVEN'
SUCH IS THE RULE OF HONOUR.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:58 PM
first

Oh...I'm not saying that adding fluid is a repair, but rather that he is very low on fluid. If he's had a noise coming from the tranny that's gotten progressively worse, he likely is going to need a rebuild.

...just saying that if you pull your axle and tranny fluid doesn't poor out, your car better be up on its side or your low on fluid.

Last edited by AnthrAxNSB; 05-26-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:04 PM
previously SLOWBOOST

I know what you meant Cory.

Just seemed like false hope to give him with the combined previous posts...kinda like pouring water on a snake bite from a cobra and thinking it will be cured.

FOR A WOUNDED MAN SHALL SAY TO HIS ASSAILANT
'IF I LIVE, I WILL KILL YOU. IF I DIE, YOU ARE FORGIVEN'
SUCH IS THE RULE OF HONOUR.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:40 AM

Yeah the synchromesh might only be a temp fix for now. In may or may not work. If you change the transmission fluid and it still does it, its time for a rebuild. Lack of maintenance from the previous owner. First things to do when you buy a car used it to change the oil, transmission fluid, and coolant. Words of wisdom. Then take care of everything else maintenance wise that wasn't taken care of.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:13 PM
round and round it go

Thanks people. I'll try the tranny fluid and see where it goes, hopefully not off the road.

TR "Old Skool EF" Member #150