Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

97 Tsi Dead????? Help!!!

Old 04-01-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 97 Tsi Dead????? Help!!!

Car shut off...threw a code for a cam angle sensor so i replaced it then nothing. replaced battery... nothing.... replaced alternator...nothing
Basically what happens is the car will occasianally start with a jump.. runs, drives.. if you shut it off... nothing no power at all ...next jump and car lights up starter engages then fails to turn over .. other times while jumper car is running i get no spark on my battery no power in the car... i have expelled every diagnosis that i could think of as well as others... i am a deisel mech so i know that there can be shorts relay problems ect ect.. but i have no smell of burning wires , no sparking around car... basically nothing that would short this thing out for no reason.... my next thought was starter...but.. its starting the car.... engages and disengages.. possibly the ecu? only mods done to elect sys are old on car(months) SAFC2 and turbo timer... as well as a ground wire kit..... i have pulled grnd kit off for fear that i was grnding somewhere...but to no avail???
HELP!!!!!!!!

Bryan
727 520 3168 PS call anytime day or night if you know whats wrong with this thing.. i gotta get this car running!
Old 04-01-2006, 07:14 PM

Just curious but have you tried switching out the battery itself instead of jumping it?? I had the same problem once and come to find out the battery was defective.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:31 PM
first

I would check the wiring at BOTH the S-AFC and turbo timer. You might want to disconnect both, but individually, all together and see if in fact that is where your problem lies. Make sure none of those wires are short.

Is your car still throwing the code? Swap in another ECU if you can.

Check plugs at CAS, Coil, etc.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Well Hot Damn !

As for the batt. I bought a brand new one... and i keep getting it checked its still reading goon on a load tester... at discount auto.

The turbotimer has the full harness and my only wire connection is the e-brake handle which i checked and that was still good.

As for the Safc im reading all signals and everything is acting the was its supposed to. The Only other ECU that i could get is installed in my girls 95 GSX
not too sure if it would be a direct fit.(obd1 and all) i know the obd 2 will hook up too her car..it just has less sensors...

Like i mentioned before all the (mods) have been prior to and running normal since before this SNAFU

IM really leaning towards this relay idea or something from the batt to starter or battery to the voltage regulator..but i thought the alt. has an internal voltage regulator unlike normal cars that have them on the fire wall???

still lost and not running looks like im not going the the GP tomarrow gatta work on the car!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Well Hot Damn !

by the way didnt realize that i was logged in under her S/N damn it all!!!!

Old 04-01-2006, 09:07 PM
first

Your car threw a code and you think it's a relay?

I don't understand.

Speaking of things I don't understand, could you rephrase this:

next jump and car lights up starter engages then fails to turn over .. other times while jumper car is running i get no spark on my battery no power in the car...
Obviously, I'm not quite sure what you're saying there, but I believe I at least in part understand the statement. I'm focusing in particular on "no power in car," and thus I'm going to eliminate the possibility of this being a f*cked up starter for you.

However, I still don't totally understand what you're trying to explain.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:51 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

next jump and car lights up, starter engages then fails to turn over .. other times while jumper car is running, i get no spark on my battery, no power in the car

Fixed so it's understandable.

Basiclly what happen's is the car doesn't get any power unless it's hooked up to another vehicle. We've changed the battery, the alternator, cam angle sensor (because that is the code it was throwing) and still nothing. We've checked all fuses and wires that lead to the battery we have also taking off various parts of the ground wire kit to see if it was accidently hitting a positive lead but, still no avail. We've practically done everything we can possiably think of and still nothing.... It is probably somthing small that we are overlooking. Any help is greatly apprecaited..

-Jeremy

I make a passive income from the comfort of my home, visit my blog, I would love to show you how to do the same

ISE Automotive-Mobile Mechanic and 24-7 Roadside assistance services from oil changes to full track car builds we do it all and get it done right the first time
Old 04-02-2006, 01:33 AM

Sure its not the starter? Take it off and take it to Discount for them to test it. Check ALL your fuses.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:43 AM

As for the fuses go..those were one of the first things i checked.. all are good even the engine fuses under the hood..(i wish it was just that).

For the starter..yeah how bout you just take that thing out and have it checked LOL that bitch is way the hell up there.....
That is my project for today.. i was hoping that i had another starter on the block in the garage.....but that was sold with the tranny......DAMN!
Old 04-02-2006, 06:51 AM

Maybe as another possibility....the ECU.... does anyone have a spare ecu that we could just try for the hell of it??
I know that if the ecu was BAD it would throw a code... for whatever reason maybe its not.. for the fact that it keeps trying to reset itself every couple of mins. that could be one reason that the car starts only a few times????
TNKX