Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

goin to town on my 3000 SL

Old 05-28-2005, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default goin to town on my 3000 SL

for the longest time i wanted to convert my car into the VR-4, then the money and time issue came in so now that thats out of my head about if i took the FR parts for the stealth and put them on my car and if i dropped the VR-4 engine in it? (i know i have to put in a 6th gear and remap the brain the only thing i wanna know is if it can be done?)
Old 05-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Resident Galant Guy

not worth it... and i dont think youll ever get it to be AWD
93 300ZX 2+2
Old 05-28-2005, 06:45 PM

if you go to 3sxpeformance.com there's a faq there on how to make a fwd vr4....basically making the sl twin turbo.....dont know if this helps or not....ohh and not all vr4's are 6th speed to my knowledge..i think it was like 96 and up that had the 6 speeds....
Old 05-29-2005, 08:23 AM

Yes, you can make a gt into an AWD. Its not to difficult if you have the know how and the right friends to help you. Its been done before and there is a well informed right up about how to to do it on www.3si.org
You can also drop in a TT into the fwd set up, or you can drop in a TT engine and tranny combo. The second option is a bit more tricky with cleaning up some of the unused chit, and having to weld the diff to keep from burning up the tranny if you are to remain FWD. Its not recommended to simply cap the rear output shaft of the tranny. The spider gears need to be welded, or so i've been told.
All in all nothing to difficult to do seeing how there are plenty of right ups about all the options you can think of. Chances are someone has done it already and left a link to a tutorial on how they did it. Just make sure you get some helpful people lined before hand cause if you eff up something a shop will rape you to fix it. Oh, and i wouldn't start counting on fellow owners to come through for ya either. I learned the hard way that most are out for themselves and don't know shit about the car anyway.

Good luck mang.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:09 AM

that could be a nasty setup, but in my opinion, the money u spend converting to awd is precious horsepower and engine upgrading money lol and that is money much better spent....the 3000 gt fwd hooks up decent as it is being that the front is so heavy....just put the car on boost, but you are going to need to make sure that you have the forged crank, some 6g72's don't have it...

PM me for any AC, audio, and wiring work on your vehicle. Including but not limited to car audio, alarms, gauge installs, custom clusters, full troubleshooting, big/dual fuel pump relay kits, battery relocation, factory radio iPod and amplifier integration, custom harnesses, and custom standalone ecu installs and much more! If you need it done, we can do it! Don't be afraid to inquire!