Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

How does paint come off?

Old 02-20-2005, 09:15 AM
round and round it go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry How does paint come off?

Just bought a 98 Eclipse GS and wow, the interior panels were spray painted white over the beautiful original tan color. The doors and everything. Should I scrape the paint off or visit a junkyard to replace them??? Plus the dashboard and the steering wheel and the whole entire control panel was all spray painted black and trying to remove the paint with paint thinner was a bitch. The black paint come off but then a blue coat appears??? Then the blue coat comes off and its black again... but in a different color. I COULDENT GET ANYWHERE! For some reason... the paint will chip and come off of the interior tan panels but not off of the dashboard and stuff. What do I do!??!?! What can I use to remove that damn black paint off my dashboard!? Its all over my shift knob and cup holder! AH! PLEASE HELP ME! GET THE PAINT OFF! GET THE PAINT OFF!
Old 02-20-2005, 09:22 AM
gotta love the boost

well the best thing might be laquor thinner just dont put it on the plastic it will fade use that and when your done use a coat of armor all just to protect it. that sounds like your best bet.

SVT F150
Old 02-20-2005, 09:28 AM
round and round it go

Laquor Thinner huh? THAT SOUNDS GREAT! I was thinking about Acetone but I guess thats better. Thanx Alot! Where do I get this stuff?? Is it for cars?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:51 AM

damn i just gave my tan doorpanels away for FREE wish i would have waited a week or so for you .... good luck
Old 02-20-2005, 10:30 AM
WOOOOOOT WOOOOOOT

Back in the day i had a corolla, and had painted the dash white, and when i had to sell the car, i wanted to get rid of the paint covered dash, so i used acetone, worked beautifully, just rubbed on and it came right off, but watch out dont breath too much of it in, it just might get you high , also you can get it at any local paint store, i got mine at sherman williams paint store
Old 02-20-2005, 01:06 PM
round and round it go

Hah, that sounds great! Strangley though, there is two different color layers of paint that was sprayed on the dash... I just hope the Acetone can eat through both layers of paint. Hey GsEclipse02, thanx. I appreciate the thought though. Yea looks like I gota alot of work cut out for myself
Old 02-20-2005, 03:05 PM
WOOOOOOT WOOOOOOT

ya, it does suck doing it, its prob gunna be a day project, but a warning im sure you know, where a mask, acetone is a very strong chemical, that almost made me faint and lose conciousness
Old 02-20-2005, 04:12 PM
BoostAddict

Originally Posted by MagicalMike420
ya, it does suck doing it, its prob gunna be a day project, but a warning im sure you know, where a mask, acetone is a very strong chemical, that almost made me faint and lose conciousness
Agree on the mask. I'd take all the panels out of the car, that way you are in a well ventilated area. If the dash needs to be done as well, I'd suggest disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery and leave both doors open, along with the hatch, while wiping down the dash.

Also, I'd suggest getting a different brand of interior protectant. Armorall has had problems with leaving peoples dashes cracked. Go with a Meguiar's or Mother's interior protectant product. I personally use the Meguiar's. It smells much better than Armor All too.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:27 PM
round and round it go

The door panels really piss me off! They are so ugly! Is there anywhere in Tampa I can go to buy some? ... and I dont mean aftermarket brands but stock door panels... unless they will cost tha same. Is there anywhere I can go? Like a junkyard?
Old 02-20-2005, 05:35 PM
previously SLOWBOOST

junkyard would be your best bet, or a used automotive place, but they might be pricey.

FOR A WOUNDED MAN SHALL SAY TO HIS ASSAILANT
'IF I LIVE, I WILL KILL YOU. IF I DIE, YOU ARE FORGIVEN'
SUCH IS THE RULE OF HONOUR.

Quick Reply: How does paint come off?