Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

do you know anyone that gives a shit about 3SI's?

Old 10-13-2004, 06:10 PM
Elitist Supra Asshole :)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do you know anyone that gives a shit about 3SI's?

Im just curious cuz i hardly ever see them around... at least Fast ones... ones w/ TURBO's. hardly anyone talks about them or is even remotely enthusiastic about them... almost like no one likes them or wants to own one. im trying to guage the resalability of a 3SI cuz i have an opportunity to pick one up that needs some work... but i probably wont bother if there isnt a market down here.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:33 PM
previously SLOWBOOST

what is a 3si? never even heard of one but curious about it, do you have pics or discription of them

FOR A WOUNDED MAN SHALL SAY TO HIS ASSAILANT
'IF I LIVE, I WILL KILL YOU. IF I DIE, YOU ARE FORGIVEN'
SUCH IS THE RULE OF HONOUR.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:52 PM
BoostAddict

The resale on them are not too bad. Assuming that you take good care of it of course. They won't have the resale potential of a Porsche or even Supra for that matter, being it is a Mitsubishi. You can find VR4s for pretty good prices pretty often, so don;t limit yourself to just this one.

They do have potential, even though they are big ass heffers. Transmission is weak, just like in the DSMs. AWD is great if you are into racing from a dig, at the 1/4, and in rainy conditions, but is rather detrimental if you are doing a top speed run or racing from a roll.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:30 PM
Disrespected

first of all, its 3S (like my name on here, 3000GT/Stealth). the "i" comes from 3Si.org, and stands for information.

this is a debate that comes up there a lot. there are a few reasons why it is not a very popular car.

a large one is that no 3S has broken the golden 10s mark. there are some independent shops that are trying (IPO's project SL-T), but the vast majority of owners are cheap and dont want to invest the kind of money that it would take. many of the shops even turn away from the 3S because the money just isnt there (AAM -> 350Z's).

the aftermarket support is kinda tiny when compared to similar cars, like the supra, although growing every year. its cool to see the development of new products all the time (i was, i believe, the very first owner of the CF viper hood made by cianci performance for second gen 3S's)

supra owners drop a LOT more money into their cars, while all you see from 3S members is complaints about prices (even when they are similar to the supra aftermarket).

the lack of performance is less of an issue. the only real difference between the supra (god among cars to many) and the 3S is that the 3S sacrificed a little for better comfort features. the 3S could definitely use bigger injectors, and the 9bs are tiny enough that most upgrade to bigger turbos. there are also some weakness in other areas (some stupid stuff, like window regulators and defrost vents), some mentioned above.

it does have the AWD/AWS/active aero, digital climate control, sunroof, beautiful leather interior etc etc etc depending on model, but all that stuff = weight, which is why it weighs a couple hundred lbs more than the supra or skyline.

you should go to 3Si.org, and just start searching through all of the archived posts. there is a TON of information there. there are also a bunch of other sites with good info:

3sxperformance.com - great aftermarket stuff
daveblack.net - lots of info
dynamicracing.com - great aftermarket stuff, home of the quickest 3S in the US (10.7)
importpoweronline.com - great aftermarket stuff, owner of the most likely car to break the 10s mark
stealth316.com - lots of info
team3s.com - lots of info

hope you decide to join our family its definitely a beautiful car that often owns the streets. dont expect tons of compliments though. many people dont know what the heck my car is, and nearly every magazine/ricer will say the car is too fat to be fast.

most of the compliments i get are along the lines of "nice car...what is it?" im happily surprised when people know that its at least a 3S, if not specifically a stealth.

Last edited by DC3S; 10-13-2004 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by DC3S
first of all, its 3S (like my name on here, 3000GT/Stealth). the "i" comes from 3Si.org, and stands for information.

this is a debate that comes up there a lot. there are a few reasons why it is not a very popular car.

a large one is that no 3S has broken the golden 10s mark. there are some independent shops that are trying (IPO's project SL-T), but the vast majority of owners are cheap and dont want to invest the kind of money that it would take. many of the shops even turn away from the 3S because the money just isnt there (AAM -> 350Z's).

the aftermarket support is kinda tiny when compared to similar cars, like the supra, although growing every year. its cool to see the development of new products all the time (i was, i believe, the very first owner of the CF viper hood made by cianci performance for second gen 3S's)

supra owners drop a LOT more money into their cars, while all you see from 3S members is complaints about prices (even when they are similar to the supra aftermarket).

the lack of performance is less of an issue. the only real difference between the supra (god among cars to many) and the 3S is that the 3S sacrificed a little for better comfort features. the 3S could definitely use bigger injectors, and the 9bs are tiny enough that most upgrade to bigger turbos. there are also some weakness in other areas (some stupid stuff, like window regulators and defrost vents), some mentioned above.

it does have the AWD/AWS/active aero, digital climate control, sunroof, beautiful leather interior etc etc etc depending on model, but all that stuff = weight, which is why it weighs a couple hundred lbs more than the supra or skyline.

you should go to 3Si.org, and just start searching through all of the archived posts. there is a TON of information there. there are also a bunch of other sites with good info:

3sxperformance.com - great aftermarket stuff
daveblack.net - lots of info
dynamicracing.com - great aftermarket stuff, home of the quickest 3S in the US (10.7)
importpoweronline.com - great aftermarket stuff, owner of the most likely car to break the 10s mark
stealth316.com - lots of info
team3s.com - lots of info

hope you decide to join our family its definitely a beautiful car that often owns the streets. dont expect tons of compliments though. many people dont know what the heck my car is, and nearly every magazine/ricer will say the car is too fat to be fast.

most of the compliments i get are along the lines of "nice car...what is it?" im happily surprised when people know that its at least a 3S, if not specifically a stealth.

Good info. Have you seen this thread yet? If not can you help with some suggestions?

https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/s...hreadid=187042
Old 10-15-2004, 06:34 AM

yea, im not looking to have it make tons of HP and own the streets... thats what my Supra/soarer is gonna be for . im actually just lookin to do some simple upgrades; 550's, TD05H-14b-6cm turbos, 1G DSM Side mounts, hard pipes, dual 1G bov's... you know, little things. my mom has always loved the 2nd gen 3kGT VR4 but for $36k, she decided to go w/ more cargo space and get a Tahoe LT for $34k. I think it would be cool to get this car, fix it up and sell it to her for cheap so she can have a fun car besides the Tahoe. i know she is not overly concenred w/ all out speed and what not and she definitly appreciates her creature comforts (LT trim on a Tahoe is top notch).

but, im just concerned that this thing may be as big of a PITA to work on as a Z32. if it is, i wont pick it up. otherwise, i will doo what i can to buy it and revive it. lately, ive just be seeing deal after deal and its making be go broke and my house look like a Used car dealer.

I wanted to join 3Si untill i found they required a $10 membership fee. i dont even own one so im not ready to pay that yet. ill just lurk and see what i can find out. but the tech on 3Si doesnt seem to be that technical. it seems to be very basic stuff "how do i install my intake setup?" "What is this noise from this place?" "rate your dealer service". not as comprehensive or as technical as DSMtalk.com is. im just worried if i come across something ultra technical, that no one there will be able to answer it.

my mom works w/a bunch of rednecks that drive ford trucks (Sunoco Oil Refinery, Oregon, Ohio) and they are anti-import and anti-"Jap"... so this being a Stealth will get her off the hook if she ever drives it to work.

thanks for the info man.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:09 AM
Disrespected

Originally posted by flubyux2
I think it would be cool to get this car, fix it up and sell it to her for cheap so she can have a fun car besides the Tahoe. i know she is not overly concenred w/ all out speed and what not and she definitly appreciates her creature comforts (LT trim on a Tahoe is top notch).

but, im just concerned that this thing may be as big of a PITA to work on as a Z32. if it is, i wont pick it up. otherwise, i will doo what i can to buy it and revive it. lately, ive just be seeing deal after deal and its making be go broke and my house look like a Used car dealer.

I wanted to join 3Si untill i found they required a $10 membership fee. i dont even own one so im not ready to pay that yet. ill just lurk and see what i can find out. but the tech on 3Si doesnt seem to be that technical. it seems to be very basic stuff "how do i install my intake setup?" "What is this noise from this place?" "rate your dealer service". not as comprehensive or as technical as DSMtalk.com is. im just worried if i come across something ultra technical, that no one there will be able to answer it.
if you are buying it for your mom, why TT? obviously the turbo models are less reliable and more expensive than the n/a models, and if she doesnt care about speed, its just a big waste of money really. 222hp for any n/a dohc model should be more than enough for the average grocery-getter

its a transverse engine, so some things can be a pain. im planning on changing my spark plugs whenever i have a day off, since itll take more than 10 minutes with the rear plugs under the fucking intake plenum ...other than that, no complaints.

you dont have to pay the $10 to read or post in the forums. the $10 is more of a donation, although you wont get access to the general forum (non-car related) without it. you also get a little membership package mailed to you for the $10. but like i said, there are plenty of members who are not official $10 paying members, you can see the distinction in their avatars.

there is an "ADVANCED Technical Discussions" forum which probably has the kinds of things you are looking for. i see tampamax learned the hard way posting on there that you should search first. people get easily annoyed when the same question is asked every week. often if you add the disclaimer "yes, i did search first" to your posts, the search nazis will leave you alone ( helps if you really do search first ) there are plenty of great minds on that board, mechanics, physics, aero stuff. i dont think ive ever seen anyone stumped on a serious issue.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:10 AM

Weight would be my concern those things are huge mofos...Awd and all the mods and potential are great but weight is always a key factor...
Old 10-15-2004, 08:26 AM

well she likes what she likes... we test drove an Automatic stealt RT. she thought it was kinda nice, but a little expensive for not having turbos or awd. so she didnt want it. im sure she would like somehting reliable, but its not ultra important as she has a 99 Tahoe LT that she drives to work EVERY day. its her only car. Shes getting a little older, shes worked her whole life and i know she likes these cars and WANTS an AWD and TT model. we were at the 1999 Detroit Auto show and she built a 3000GT VR4 just the way she wanted it on the display. all options, $36k, dark metallic green. but, me and my sister were still living at home. she opted for the Tahoe in the same price range. now, me and my sister have moved out, and mom can start doing stuff she didnt have a chance to. i think it would be cool to buy this, fix it and do all the maintenence on it and just sell it to her dirt cheap so she can finally have a fun car to enjoy on weekends. Its called "Saging" where you spend your kid's inheritance doing the fun stuff and buying the fun things you never could because you had mouths to feed. Her ex-bf bought an SL600 drop top and cruised from NY to FLorida for like a 3 month vacation. hes like 49. He does whatever the fuck he wants now. My mom should be able to start doin what she wants now. If that means she gets a twin turbo, awd car thats "unreliable", then so be it as long as she's happy about it.

i know about searching forums. im a veteran member of rx7club.com, supraforums.com, nasioc.com, dsmtalk.com and i practice what i preach probalby more than most. i search for what i need to know and usually bring back dead posts from last year. for some reason, i couldnt find the search button on 3Si... i dont know if you have to log in first or what. but ill probably search for the answers i need unless i cant find anything. but, ive never owned a 3/S and ive always kinda liked them. my friend LOVES them. he had like a 92 SL, it was pretty nice. i think he would also love to have a TT/AWD for the right price.

anyways, thanks for the input.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Goodbye thanks 4 the fish

be wary of the TT manual trannys, during harsh driving you will (not can happen like crankwalk) blow out your synchros.

I LOVE STEALTHS each day I think what would I do if someone would trade me a stealth straight up for my car and im not sure what I would do.

But I know I will buy another one.

the active aero and rear spoiler add into the weight of the VR4 which makes it a tiny bit slower than the stealth RTTT btw

the heavier weight at higher speeds is Awesome. when you AVG 126 between IA to IL at those higher speeds you feel allot more comfortable and the ride is allot smoother.

And yea shock value is amazing on these bitches. I went to a car meet of about 35 cars or so. When I pulled in there was people running over to my car with cameras questions, etc. it was nuts.

Then I was like "woah bitches, its stock" I was still second quickest car out there minus a modded S4.

i miss my car. so. so much. I cant even type this reply to this post my coherancy SUCKS.

04GSXR
96 Eagle Talon TSI AWD.