Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

Anybody up for some troubleshooting?

Old 06-25-2004, 11:02 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody up for some troubleshooting?

I have a horrible random misfire, there's a post about it on tbdsm. It's very frustrating in that sometimes my car runs perfectly and pulls hard to redline, but most of the time, it sputters horribly when I hit the 3500-4500 rpm range. The misfire occasionally decides to kill the car entirely, at which point it will sputter and die with any throttle input and even at idle.

I have tested a bunch of stuff, and at this point the next step seems to be swapping a known-good ecu, fpr, coil-pack, power transistor, etc. one at a time to see if it fixes the problem. If somebody has some time next week to swap out some of these parts, I would greatly appreciate the assistance, I'm too young to buy beer but I'm sure I could treat you to a fine meal at mickey-d's for your trouble or something. I'll be helping my dad get his boat from St. Pete to Englewood tomorrow, but hopefully I'll be back Sunday, after that, I have no concrete plans the rest of the week. I'm sure the good dsm karma earned helping me get my car up to speed and down to the track will be very useful the next time your crank pulley decides to separate or when you go to measure crank end play (though most of this stuff is 1g-specific...).
Old 06-26-2004, 03:43 AM
Old School

I'm guessing mass or boost leak.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:25 AM
clever individual

yeah, have you tried cleaning your MAF?
Old 06-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Eis Aner Oudeis Aner

Im down for helping you whenever, if you want hit me up one AIM Im not quite sure of my schedule but im sure we could work something out. It kind of sounds like a boost leak somewhere but then again who knows. Just LMK.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:35 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

Originally posted by wannabeDSMer
Im down for helping you whenever, if you want hit me up one AIM Im not quite sure of my schedule but im sure we could work something out. It kind of sounds like a boost leak somewhere but then again who knows. Just LMK.
Ok, cool- thanks. I did a boost leak test a week or two ago and fixed a severe boost leak (injector seals) and two very minor boost leaks, and I didn't see any others going up and down the intake path and few remaining vacuum lines with a spray bottle of soapy water. I'll test again to see if any leaks have somehow escaped detection.

The MAS is a possibility, I've checked that the connector is on there well and that the intake tube is firmly seated on it, and I've logged it showing that the airflow numbers seem to go up with load/rpm, but other than that I haven't found any other ways to check it out. I'm not sure how to clean it, what part of it would need cleaning? I'm guessing that if any part of it needed cleaning it would be the sensors (right behind the screen, right?) but I don't know if spraying carb cleaner through it would be good on it.

I'll get in contact as soon as I go run another boost leak test just to be sure that there isn't a new leak somewhere.