Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

2g gsx/gst

Old 04-28-2004, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2g gsx/gst

I've been looking into getting a 2g gsx but I've heard lots of horror stories online, not so much in person. I was wondering if anyone who has or does own a 2g turbo could tell me how much trouble they've had on it. I've heard about everything from the leaky BOV, an easy fix, to the crankwalk, not such an easy fix, and I just want to know how realistic all these problems are. Thanks.

P.S. Please don't just laugh and say "lots of trouble" tell me what has broken, in how many miles of ownership, under what kind of driving conditions, ect. If you went through a tranny in 40K because everytime you get to a red light you drop the clutch at 7k thats alot diffrent from the tranny just went for no reason and I hardly ever race.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:52 PM
dsm
rice sleeper

crank walk is not a HUGE problem but it can happen especially in 95-97 models. no major problems to report on my 2g for now reason.
Jalvarez Studio
Old 04-28-2004, 07:07 PM
factory turbo charged car

don't own one but my buddy is selling his near perfect condition everything rebuilt 96 tsi awd 5 speed. for $6500 obo. tahnks mike

TURBO IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE GET ONE. HA HA
ALSO FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:12 PM
Who stole my sandwich?

the trannys on 2gs alot of people say are POS.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:18 PM

I dont want to say the word but no cw so far, and no real tranny issues but i drive like a sane person....And its a fwd....
Old 04-28-2004, 11:53 PM
Jewbling

a story i heard was with a gsx...a guys xfer case locked up on the highway or a parkway or w/e ended up killlin his passanger
Good morning Hebrews and Shebrews ...wut a glorious jewish day...lots of coupons in the sunday paper eh, lots of good deals there...so i went into the store to buy a T.V. and they wanted $800 bucks for it so i "ussed" them down to $500

~Peter Griffin

Old 04-29-2004, 06:04 AM

Here' s my experience with my 95 GSX.
I bought it with 29K on it. Bone stock. I have done all the free mods and switched over to a 1 G BOV with all hard pipes. Nothing done to the engine except for little stuff like plugs, wires, MBC just basics.
Replaced the timing belt and O2 pump at 80k. Didn't know anything about the required 60k replacement inteval.
Replaced struts, brakepads and turned the rotors @48K
New Clutch @ 87K

Problems I have had are:
Crappy Door Handles
Idle Control Sensor
Rear wheel bearings
Misc interior probs
Tranny ginds in 2nd once in awhile

The car now has 120K on it and runs fine. I don't race at all. Been on the 8th mile strip once and that was all I needed.
The biggest thing to consider when looking at a used vehicle is how it has been maintained and driven by the prvious owner(s). I have heard all the horror stories as well but it always seems to be a car that had been rodded to crap that causes the problem.

These are high maintenance vehicles. Everything seems to cost more and needs to be replaced more frequently. So you are gonna be dumping some money into it. The more you mod and tune the more money it's gonna be sucking from you.

Hope that helps
Old 04-29-2004, 08:04 AM
just blaze...

Originally posted by 97TSI
a story i heard was with a gsx...a guys xfer case locked up on the highway or a parkway or w/e ended up killlin his passanger
thats terrible :o

Old 04-29-2004, 08:16 AM
Who stole my sandwich?

the transfer case was i recall i do believe so if you call mitsu you can find out if the car you buy has any of those parts and if they need to be or have been replaced
Old 04-29-2004, 11:50 AM
Jewbling

it is a recall..i tried to find the post but i couldnt....i remember reading he was looking for the legal info reguarding the recall i think he said he was being charged with murder or facing some serious jail time due to the fact that the car lost control for no reason and killed the passanger in the car
Good morning Hebrews and Shebrews ...wut a glorious jewish day...lots of coupons in the sunday paper eh, lots of good deals there...so i went into the store to buy a T.V. and they wanted $800 bucks for it so i "ussed" them down to $500

~Peter Griffin