Mazda Tech If your Mazda is a brap brap,or a zoom zoom, then this is your place.

my 88 gtu dosent want to start!!! HELP!!!

Old 12-24-2008, 02:31 PM
is a ricer at heart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 88 gtu dosent want to start!!! HELP!!!

its not getting any fuel but its getting spark. im guessing its the pump but i dont know.. someboby help!!
TR DC CREW MEMBER #51!!!!
Originally Posted by Liquid
DSM's are gay! Vtec is ftw!
Originally Posted by cheezy47
^haha, I trade until I come up on what I want... Cars and wheels...
ANTI JDM
Old 12-24-2008, 02:52 PM

does it sputter at all like it is trying to start, then nothing?

Old 12-24-2008, 03:17 PM
is a ricer at heart

all it does is turn over and over. i took the fuel regulator off and no fuel comes out!!
TR DC CREW MEMBER #51!!!!
Originally Posted by Liquid
DSM's are gay! Vtec is ftw!
Originally Posted by cheezy47
^haha, I trade until I come up on what I want... Cars and wheels...
ANTI JDM
Old 12-24-2008, 05:42 PM

This above shows the electrical schematics for the fuel pump. The fuel pump is energized when the circuit opening relay's switch is in closed position. This is accomplished when the BR (brown) wire which goes to the Air Flow Meter (AFM) is grounded. When the AFM is operating (engine running), this BR wire is grounded. When the AFM is not operating (engine not running), this BR wire is not grounded and the fuel pump is not energized unless the fuel pump circuit terminal (yellow connector) is shorted with a jumper wire.
Having the fuel pump disabled when the engine is not running is a safety measure. This guarantees that the fuel supply is cut immediately when the engine is shut off whether it is intentional or not. The fuel pump circuit terminal (yellow connector) enables priming and testing of the fuel system without the engine running.
The fuel pump is not on when the ignition switch is at the ON position. It is on only when you crank, that is, the switch is at the START position. The fuel pump keeps on ticking if the car is actually started (air flows through the AFM).
Interesting tidbit: on a turbo 86-88, the actual voltage at the fuel pump is either the full voltage or a lower one. This is controlled by the "fuel pump relay and resistor" relay. By controlling the relay activation and therefore the bypassing of the resistor, the ECU can make the fuel pump operate either at full voltage or at a lower set voltage (to improve fuel economy). There is no such relay on the non turbo model.

Now the jumper is located behind the air filter box, above the Air Flow meter, and has yellow wires, look around the strut tower area.

If you jumper that connector, it will tell you if the fuel pump is good or not, ign must be in the on position.

If the pump dies run, then you need to look at the Air Flow Meter, or the fuel pump relay as being bad, also check your fuses (main engine compartment drivers side, I believe it is the 3rd fuse)

Post back what you find, and let me know...

Old 12-24-2008, 06:56 PM

Most likely just the fuel pump !