Mazda Tech If your Mazda is a brap brap,or a zoom zoom, then this is your place.

2G MX6 Performance issues

Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Mac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2G MX6 Performance issues

Okay guys I'm a Mazda Noob. I really like this MX6 though. 2.5 L V6, Auto. I want to fix it.

The car seems strong, mechanically it's okay... After it warms up it starts this crap... Video of MX6 Problem 1 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It seems like the warmer it gets the worse the problem becomes. It makes the car undrivable, always falling on it's face. I have another vid I'll post up in a minute or two.

Second Vid: Video of MX6 Problem 2 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I've been through the vacuum lines, electrical connections... I scanned a P1195 code, I fixed the EGR boost sensor and it went away. The CEL flashes right before it falls on it's face the disappears. There is no constsnt CEL and no codes stored in the computer. WTF?

Please help!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:01 AM
Vtack THIS!!!

well by the vids it seems like it could very well be your vaf has a small leak in it (in the intake hose after the vaf to the TB. or your leaking or not getting enough fuel pressure. Either way the the egr does not effect idle its just for emmisions so you can rule that out. Well check them things and also the routine stuff like spark plugs/wires, dizzy, O2's Ect. Gl and see if u can find any more info about your problem so i can help you out better....

-2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 CWP
Old 01-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Mac

I've been told to clean the IAC and the egr. I'm going to replace all the vacuum lines and see what I can scrounge from the boneyard for the intake elbow. It has to be something simple because the car runs great other than this little bug.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Vtack THIS!!!

here is a vac. diagram to help you out

-2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 CWP
Old 01-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Mac

Thanks, have the service manual for the car though (Mazda) not Haynes, from which I understand sucks for this car. Another suggestion I've had is to replace the coolant temp sensor... makes sense considering the car only acts up once it's warm whaddya think?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Vtack THIS!!!

yeah you might want to concider the coolent temp. considering it will effect idle but if that was bad there would be a CEL . Also when you replace your vac. lines make sure u get silicone hoses, it makes a world of a diff on these motors. Forgot to ask 5spd or auto b/c theres other things on autos that can effect idle like that.

-2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 CWP
Old 01-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Vtack THIS!!!

^ sorry reading about i see you do have auto. well most deff coolent temp. sensor or just for the hell of it try doing the IAC MOD. Simple wiring to volume air flow sensor. Removes the preshift fuel cut and raises line pressure. Makes harder, faster, more powerful shifts for about 0.2-0.5 second shorter 1/4 mile times. I get into much detail on that b/c theres 100+ site for info on it but i highly recomend it.

-2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 CWP
Old 01-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Mac

I will do that, thanks for the tip.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:35 AM

Well you are getting no cell because it stalls real quick and fires back up making it think that the car for that split second that the key is only on the On postion then it satrts back up. As for the idle I would assume a vac line. I had this problem and one of my hoses was split leading to the air intake. You can use soap and water and run it across your lines to find if there is a leak. it will bubble where there is one. this method does take awhile but does work. hope this helps in anyway. goodluck
Old 01-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Mac

^ thanks for trying to help, but a vacuum line leak will not make bubbles with soapy water. The vacuum would suck the water in and you would still not know where the leak is. Probably the most effective way to check for vacuum leaks is to spray starting fluid (ETHER) in the suspected area and listen for a stumble or slight decrease in idle RPM. if it dips down, there is a leak somewhere near where you sprayed.
Also, the CEL would come on at the bottom of the cycle if were from stalling. I would also get the alt light. No, the CEL is on at top of the cycle, before the engine loses rpm, watch the vid carefully. whatever is happening is tripping the CEL and self correcting.
Thanks for the input anyway, I appreciate all the help I can get.

BTW I noticed a strange needle bounce on the temp guage, maybe nothing. I doubt the temp sending unit for the guage and the coolant temp sensor for the ecu are one in the same. But if they are... Hmmmm

Last edited by Mac; 01-25-2008 at 09:44 PM.