Mazda Tech If your Mazda is a brap brap,or a zoom zoom, then this is your place.

alota talk about rx 7's is it true

Old 09-09-2007, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy alota talk about rx 7's is it true

very intrested in an rx'7 liked them ever since i was little but iv heard that there very unreliable the motors blow very easily and they cost alot of money when i reaserched it on google alot of them were leading this to be true but only if you dont know what you are doing i also came across a site that said rotary engines are actually very reliable and do not take alot of work just little maintence things such as checking your oil frequently and every one that says rotary engines are unrielable are either talkin of non experiance and from the basic rep only or modded his/her car improperly or didn't take care of their engine. so wut is the deal ?????
all input would be greatly apreciated also im new on the web site so not sure exactly how it works
Old 09-09-2007, 02:35 AM
"Da Man"

You seem like the type of person that could do well w/ a rotary. You did some research and you asked an informed question.

You're right, the vast majority of people propagating the unreliability myth of the rotary engine fall into one of the following groups:
A) V8 guys (they'd put 8 cylinders in their mother if they had the chance
B) people that don't understand the value of PREVENTATIVE maintainance
C) Idiots who think they're dealing w/ a piston engine
D) people that believe everything they read on the internet
E) people who got duped by a shady seller
F) people that are too lazy to do a little research

Since there are only 3 moving parts (a shaft and two rotors) there are far less tings to break than in a piston engine. That being said, there is a little more stress on each component since there are less of them.

There are two things a rotary does not tolerate, those are:

OVERHEATING - running the engine hot will cook the soft seals inside the engine and cause warping of the aluminum rotor housings. This can lead to coolant leaks and poor compression (among other things)

and...

DETONATION - premature detonation of the air/fuel mixture (usually caused by poor tuning) can damage or break apex seals. Again this leads to compression loss, and thus a blown motor.

Thats it.

Its pretty difficult to harm a rotary any other way.....
YouTube - RX-7 Redline Torture
If you start out with a healthy motor, and perform the proper maintainance you'll find that a rotary will last a long time ....
http://www.rotaryresurrection.com/2n...longevity.html

But the key is to START with a health engine either by buying one or by getting one cheap and having it rebuilt.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:21 AM

is there any place you would suggest i could come across a healthy engine

Last edited by map_6; 09-09-2007 at 03:30 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:43 AM
Get Down-Or-Stay Down

Good write up sharingan 19,

I tell most new rotary owners to keep a good watch on oil pressure/water temp gauges..

Im constantly checking that out like a blind spot while driving.One time I was driving,oil pressure shot to 0.

I pulled over and luckly it was the sending unit,wire came loose..

map 6,what engine are you looking for?
Most people doing rotary swaps,go J spec.

1)Lower milage
2)easier to find
3)price is cheaper for what you get compared to a 200k mile engine some one is pulling out of their car.

Rotary engines in Mazdas have been around for over 30 years now.So theres been alot of experiments here and there.The info it out there,just need to do some research.

Do you want to be tazed?
Old 09-09-2007, 12:23 PM

ya i was thinking about getting 1 off there web site i was talking to some one earlier and he sent me a link
Old 09-09-2007, 03:42 PM

i just got my first rx7 about two weeks ago and the previous owner did show shady work on somethings and im working on fixing it but it you keep up with the maintenance and check fluid often they seem to last long mine runs great but has electrical issues but fixing things are extremly easy to do on them just do it right the first time and your good g/l whatever choice you make

Old 09-09-2007, 04:21 PM
is not Rotarded anymore!

Rotaries aren't as bad as people make them out to be.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Big Black Trucking

all it takes is time and the right tools. im learning that right now not having the right tools will make working on it a pain but its well worth it. i love my car and im sure you will if you get one.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:36 PM
leo
ls1r-x7

Default Ok

Well I would say stay with the n/a, if you plan on just having a nice driver. If you step into the turbo world than IN MY OWN OPINION you will see alot of trouble and very high maintence cost. Listen rotaries aernt cheap, Pistons aernt cheap, as well as some diesels arent cheap. You are on a mostly rotary loving forum so there will be alot of passion talk of how well of a machine it is. If you have the cash to get a fd3s a.k.a 93-95 [in the states] rx7 than its almost expected that you will spend big bucks. Again in my opinion 90% of rx7's around here have not been taken care of. This is the number one state of street racing and everyone around here has a passion for rx7's. This isnt florida in the tampa bay area This is puerto rico. alot of hispanics get these cars and soup them up. Nothing wrong with that but again they are not indestructible. My first rx7 was a 79 and it clocked 139,000 miles on the origional engine. Now that is great. Go get a cheap first generation 78-85 as a first rx7 and have fun with it. They are very cheap, and move out fairly well for their age.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:50 PM

well the 1 im lookin at is a 2nd gen 87 n it comes turbo so your saying i should get the n/a first instead of the turbo????