Mazda Tech If your Mazda is a brap brap,or a zoom zoom, then this is your place.

Injector??

Old 04-25-2005, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector??

My turbo 2 should be done on thursday and i need to get 720cc injectors and i was wondering is there one i can just pop in with out having to do any wire work basicly use my stock clips.. i will have my rtek 1.7 ecu soon.. and i need them injectors.. Also if u could give me a web site to get them at thanx..
Old 04-25-2005, 06:24 PM

It depends on what year your TII is.

I have a 90 and the stock injectors are high impedence. When I bought my 720's from rotaryperformance.com (rx7.com) I also had to get the square connectors and wire in a resistor to change the impedence to low (The bosch 720's are low impendence).

Good luck.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:14 AM

Mine is an 88 t2.. I just had the motor street ported and i have a bnr stage 2.. front mount is here and waitin on my ecu. and im also waitin for my intake manifold coming from Puerto rico.. also will a walbro 255 be good enough for what i have i plan just to run 12 psi..
Old 04-26-2005, 10:22 AM
whats good?

the only t2 with low impedance injectors is the '87. so anything after that is the high impedance, and i know on some they have a little tab on the injector that is off center and all you have to do if you dont want to change the injector plugs is file off that little tab.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:48 AM

You should read this and when you buy your injectors from someone, I'd suggest that you do it over the phone so they can make sure you get the correct harness connectors and resistors if you need them.

Injector Information Section

(originally written by Kevin Landers)

Fuel injector identification Guide (FB and FC)
Note: Some injectors carry the same part number as others but plug styles and resistances can vary. Low Impedance (LI) refers to 2-3 ohms, and High Impedance (HI) refers to 12-13 ohms.

Year Type Impedance Plug Style Plug Notch Position Flow Rating Color Part Number
84-85 13B N/A Low Square Center 680cc Orange 195500-0900
86-87 13B N/A Low Square Center 460cc Red 195500-1350
86-87 13B T2 Low Square Center 550cc Tan 195500-1370
88 13B N/A High Square Offset 460cc Purple 195500-1350
88 13B T2 High Square Offset 550cc Purple 195500-1370
89-91 13B N/A High Oval Center 460cc Red 195500-2010
89-91 13B T2 High Oval Center 550cc Purple 195500-2020

As a side note, replacement fuel injector clips (for the wiring harness) can be obtained from auto parts stores to replace broken stock clips. Kevin Landers got the parts from Autozone: GP Sorenson Part #800-9416 Fuel Injector Connector

I got my injector clips from www.k2rd.com under the Haltech/EFI Accessories section (Part #132-6040)

More about Injector Impedances on 2nd Gens:
1986 and 1987 model cars used Low Impedance (2-3 ohm) injectors which have a center notch on the plug. The wiring harness used with LI injectors integrates an injector resistor pack, wired inline between the ECU and injectors (under stock air box in engine bay) to bump the overall load seen at the ECU to 12-13 ohms.

1988 and later models used High Impedance (12-13 ohm) injectors which have an offset notch on the plug. All post 1988 injectors are High Impedance (HI) with an oval plug (until 3rd generation side feed injectors which are totally different). The wiring harness on these models deleted the injector resistor pack, carrying the 12-13 ohm load from the injectors directly to the computer.

When performing engine/wiring/injector swaps, the type of setup must be noted and kept together. This is easy as LI injectors will only plug into a harness meant for them (due to the position of the plug notch) and vice versa for HI injectors and harnesses. The 88 and post 89 HI injectors and harnesses are not interchangeable. A car that previously ran one type of setup can be changed to the other by keeping the injectors and wiring harness together. The ECU will not know the difference. It is also possible, but not necessarily recommended, to use HI injectors on a LI harness and vice versa but to do so, you must modify the injectors to fit the opposing wiring harness by taking off the notch on the plug.

If using LI injectors on a HI harness, you must splice into the harness at each injector lead (for a total of 4) 10 ohm/10watt resistors available at Radio Shack for a couple of bucks. It doesn't matter which wire of the 2 per injector you splice to, polarity isn't an issue here. This bumps the LI resistance up to acceptable load for the ECU to see.

If using HI injectors on a LI harness, you must unplug the resistor pack. Next, locate the supply wire in the center of 5 terminals. Bridge jumper wires from this terminal to each of the 4 outlying terminals, which basically completes the circuit without resistors, carrying the HI injectors' 12-13 ohm load directly to the ECU just as a HI harness would.

Also, I have heard some bad things about the walbro but I have no experiance with that company at all. I just use the FD3S pump and fuel pressure has never been a problem.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:24 AM
2 Rotors 1 Turbo

^ wow good reply. As far as the fuel pump question.... I would run an additional relay from the pump to the battery for constant 12V just in case. I was running a Walboro 255 and my fuel pressure dropped if I boosted over 12psi. You're better off doing it to be safe then sorry.

'93 RX-7 Base Gone but never forgotten..... 11/12/05
60-1 Turbo - Mircrotech LT8 - 374rwhp/315rwtq @ 15 psi -> stock ports
'93 RX-7 Touring In the process of... bigger turbo, port, rebuild.
www.cfiracing.com
Old 04-27-2005, 11:14 AM

Here's a good write up on how to rewire your fuel pump.

http://1300cc.com/howto/how2/rewire.htm

The problem with our fuel system is that it's powered through the whole car. Let's say it's night time, your blasting some music, and you have the A/C on. With your head lights and everything else on, it's taking a lot of electricity. Then, you feel like getting on the throttle, your fuel pump will be begging for more voltage but will never get it, resulting in less fuel flow.

With this fuel pump rewire, the fuel pump is powered directly from the battery and it won't matter what else you have running.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:55 AM
whats good?

yes, i put a relay with a constant 12 volts going to my fuel pump and gained over 10 psi of fuel pressure under boost. that was even with a big bosch pump i was losing pressure under boost with the stock wiring. on top of the pressure gain the pump is about twice as loud. another thing to take into consideration, the power to the pump goes through a resister which cuts voltage down at idle and raises it when you build boost. so if something with that system goes wrong then your screwed, so putting the relay in gets rid of that as well.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:48 PM

Thanx for great info.. should be on the road by next weel next. all i have to do concentrate on a better bigger turbo and manifold..
Old 04-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Get Down-Or-Stay Down

Fuel Cut Controller*

The Fuel Cut Controller allows the Turbo II to run at higher-than-stock turbo boost pressures without experiencing pre-programmed rear rotor fuel cutoff. The Fuel Cut controller essentially deceives the ECU (computer) into thinking the boost is not as high as it actually is. Consequently, the stock boost gauge no longer displays accurate boost pressure

Fuel Cut Controller
1987-88 TURBO II

Part Number: 11570
Retail Price: $91.00

Do you want to be tazed?

Quick Reply: Injector??