Mazda Tech If your Mazda is a brap brap,or a zoom zoom, then this is your place.

Shifter Problems

Old 10-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Drift Session

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Problems

Ok, this is the story, I've been driving my car around all day and it's shifting normal and fine. I back into the driveway at my friend's house. I get out and he says he wants to see how my car shifts. He gets in with the car off and is shifting and all of the sudden the shifter goes clunk, and I was like, "what was that?" I turn on the car and I put it in 1st gear and it goes nowhere. I put it in 2nd, it goes nowhere again. I put it in neutral and it goes reverse. I'm really lost and need this fixed. I took out the shifter and theres a J shaped clip thing, and the spot where the shifter goes in. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:48 PM

Never let a friend mess with your car. I don't think that has to do with the shifter, could be the clutch, or worse a faulty transmission, but what do I know. Wait for the experts to answer that question. Also make sure you check all the fluids everyday, Clutch, power steering, brake fluid, coolant, and oil.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:06 PM
Get Down-Or-Stay Down

Default Re: Shifter Problems

Originally posted by Squints338
Ok, this is the story, I've been driving my car around all day and it's shifting normal and fine. I back into the driveway at my friend's house. I get out and he says he wants to see how my car shifts. He gets in with the car off and is shifting and all of the sudden the shifter goes clunk, and I was like, "what was that?" I turn on the car and I put it in 1st gear and it goes nowhere. I put it in 2nd, it goes nowhere again. I put it in neutral and it goes reverse. I'm really lost and need this fixed. I took out the shifter and theres a J shaped clip thing, and the spot where the shifter goes in. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
the J thing? Only thing I can think of is the clip that holds the shifter in to the tranny.. how the hell can you make it come out?
Post a pic of it?,,,,

Do you want to be tazed?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:01 AM
zero pistons

check your clutch fluid, if you can get into gear your shifter is fine. but if goes no where then you have problems.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:33 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

whoaaaa, happened to me twice, from friends dry shifting, you have a bent fork in your transmission. Wow, i thought it never happened to any one else, time for a rebuild.

1998 crv daily beater