Mazda Tech If your Mazda is a brap brap,or a zoom zoom, then this is your place.

1st Gen: Cheap Ignition upgrage

Old 03-08-2004, 11:54 AM
go FAQ urself . . .

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gen: Cheap Ignition upgrage

I have already converted to a direct fire ignition, but was messing with it the other day. I have found out that if you would want a direct fire ignition, but not spend nearly the money I did(on MSD 6a and 2 blaster2 coil's = $150 - $200) you can use stock 2nd gen coil with the stock igniter. This works perfectly for some one who needs those hard to find and expensive when you do find, igniters. Just remove your old igniter off of the dist, then splice the wires that were connected to the igniter. Run those wires to the 2nd gen igniter, which already is on the 2nd gen coil. Then viola, hook the coils straight to the spark plugs, bypassing the dist and only use the dist for the trailing spark plugs. If I am un lear on any of this, just ask questions and I will clarify. This is very similar to the old post I did on direct fire ignition, only using stock parts, which would cost $25 at a U-Pull it junk yard.

So basically you get the good ignition system for under $50 instead of $200 or more.

Only for 1st Gen Rx-7's
Old 03-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Hey You! Stay Gay!

Good post Kr$ i wasa curious as to how exactly it works though i heard something about it a while back. if you have anymore info pm it to me im curious
rotor on!!!
Tony
Old 03-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Get Down-Or-Stay Down

I have stamatics on adding another coil/ignitor. see not many peopel know the FC trailing coils are good as hell,I been running them for about 4 years,and they are easy to find..

But I wouldnt run the FC ignitors just cause of the unit being so bulky,I made a bracket for Dan when he had a FB to hold 2 FC trailing coils but he never got it from me..

Im going to figure the set up to run 4 ignitors,and 4 coils.Without using the MSD box yet..BUT use the MSD towers on the distribitor cap. to help with the spark..

Do you want to be tazed?
Old 03-10-2004, 09:04 AM
go FAQ urself . . .

You set it up the Direct Fire Ignition way, only use the 2nd gen igniter in place of the MSD 6a. and run the 2 small wires that connect to the original igniter to the 2nd gen igniter and that igniter connects to the 2nd gen coil and run the plug wires from th 2nd gen coil straight to your spark plugs. Bypassing the dist. If you dont understand I can explain longer and better later.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:22 AM
go FAQ urself . . .

Illswyn: check out this thread. Their is one more thread also, with using a MSD 6a as the leading igniter, but is more expensive.