Local Events Local Events and forum meets happening in the Central florida / Tampa / St Pete area.

Mayoral Candidate Bill Foster Looking for Street Racing Input

Old 07-14-2009, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mayoral Candidate Bill Foster Looking for Street Racing Input

Hello everyone!

As a frequent visitor to the TR forums and a long-time auto enthusiast, I am familiar with the issues surrounding the Saturday night meets on 4th Street North, Gandy, and Clearwater Causeway. The recent police raid on race spectators is the perfect example.

Today I had the opportunity to personally meet with Bill Foster, one of the mayoral candidates for the city of St. Petersburg. Interested in the issue, I brought up the question of street racing. After some constructive discussion, we were able to agree on a series of points:

1.Street racing in St. Petersburg is a historic problem—both in terms of being a threat to resident drivers and nearby public as well requiring the use of police resources that could be deployed elsewhere.

The Friday/Saturday night “meets” are not characterized exclusively by races—many individuals see them as an opportunity to congregate with fellow enthusiasts.

There are viable alternatives for racing on the streets at 2:00 AM that are currently being underutilized.

In lieu of point #3, Bill is genuinely interested in listening to what YOU think is the best solution. Is there anything the city can do to increase attendance at the track? As part of his campaign to create a unified city and community, he very clearly recognizes that listening to what you think is absolutely imperative for creating a comprehensive strategy that he’ll explore implementing if elected the mayor.

I’ll be meeting with him again next Tuesday, July 20th. If you guys have any constructive suggestions, please feel free to write down your thoughts—he’ll read through and consider all ideas.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:51 PM

Have Sunshine speedway opend up friday and saturday and have free admision to all who are 21 and younger. If given the chance people will go to the track to run instead of ccc and 4th.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 PM
GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!!!

have one street open where theres no traffic like 28st and two cops there and just let people sit there talk and race up to a late hour. so u dont have to worry about people running from the cops and getting in to accidents ... the only reason why there is so many accidents in the summer at the races is because there to many little kids taking the parents cars out there and acting stupid you really dont see that happen in the winter ... i agree with the comment above but people really done have the money to pay to race ..... that just my thought
Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by fatboys_typeR
have one street open where theres no traffic like 28st and two cops there and just let people sit there talk and race up to a late hour. so u dont have to worry about people running from the cops and getting in to accidents ... the only reason why there is so many accidents in the summer at the races is because there to many little kids taking the parents cars out there and acting stupid you really dont see that happen in the winter ... i agree with the comment above but people really done have the money to pay to race ..... that just my thought
+1

It will never happen though. The sunshine idea is a good one, but lets face it. Sunshine sucks balls. The track is all bumpy and full of holes(Last time I was there was 2 years ago btw) and its only a 1/8 mile!

Skreet racers like racing from a roll ( ) and goin more then a 1320ft distance.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:15 PM

Default Old Gandy Bridge

Whats up with getting out onto the Old Gandy Bridge (The walking bridge) on Friday and/or Saturday nights with a semi controlled environment of some sort.

People wanting to race could race across and take the Regular Bridge back across.

5251 Park Blvd
Pinellas Park, FL 33781
727-546-0601
http://www.pnrcaraudio.com
Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Rick James bitch

It will have to be a track they are not going to close a road lets be logical. I wish sunshine was longer but, it is better than nothing but, on the strets is better when compared to sunshine.
TR 5th Gen Civic CREW Member #14

T & C Racing

What VP Race fuel's should we carry?

FT Crew Mascot lol
Gotta love my hater fan club. I love the fact people worry about me 24/7 Ill never be forgotten. I love you guys.....
Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 PM

Thank you for all of the feedback. If at all possible, try to encourage more of the TR users to write down their thoughts---the more, the better.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 PM

The coolest thing and the thing that would get the most support from racers would be to shut down a street and let us race, however we all know that is not going to happen.

im grown but yea bitch i got batman bedsheets
Old 07-14-2009, 11:28 PM

there is many things that can be done but lets face it they will only cut down the street racing not eliminate it, there will always be someone who pulls up next to a muscle head in a mustang (or pulls up to some kid in a civic) at a light and just wants to race them, its in the human ego.

im grown but yea bitch i got batman bedsheets
Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Talk to this guy about how he got the support of the county sheriff
and gets street racers off the streets a few times per week.-Bob

www.centralfloridaroadcourse.com

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/