Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

radiator problems

Old 03-04-2003, 06:40 PM
Sorta Kinda O.G.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator problems

Ok..Im aware of another similar thead about overheating...but Im going to start another....here is my situation:
Ok..after driving hard or just driving for more than 15-20 minutes..I hear the water boiling under the hood when I come to a stand still at a light or something...So I check it out...the overflow resevoir is almost empty everytime...keep in mind...I fill it just about everytime I get into the car now....I can fill it up...and just stare at the resevoir...but I do not see it leak anywhere....at first I had a leak because one of the hoses wasnt tight enough...and I would lose all the water and the temp gauge went right up to hot...now it just starts boiling and the temp gauge doesnt go up....would the thermostat just go bad that quick?...also...about the headgasket...I saw in anther post that if water splashes out while engine is on...it might be a bad head gasket....well I tried that...It did do that once...but not everytime...but if i take off the radiator cap and turn the car on...slowly the water rises to the top and comes out...sorry this is so long...just trying to explain in detail...so hopefully someone has some idea what I can do...if it makes any difference..this is a newly swapped motor.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:25 PM

maybe the Thermostat........if not, make sure the resivoir itself isnt leaking.......my friends did the same thing and he ended up buying a whole new radiator.

Toys:
-2003 Honda cr125r
-2003 Honda cr250r
Old 03-05-2003, 06:09 AM
B16ACRX

-check your fan motor make sure its comming on.
-There is a senor, might need to be replaced(its located on the thermostat housing) Iam not sure that would have to do with anything though?
Old 03-05-2003, 08:07 AM

I think that you should check all the things mentioned. If I was you, I will also check the radiator cap. I had a similar problem once. My water was getting out of the reservor. It seem that is was boling but it was not. My raditor cap was so bad that the spring inside of it did not work. The spirng allow pressure to scape of your systmen while you drive. Since the preassure could not scapebecause the spring the not allowed teh cap to move up all the preassure went into the reservor forcing the water to come out of the reservor. By that time I had changed the thermostat but I noticed it was just the $8.00 cap. The only think that was differnt form your scenerio is that my gage always gave me the overheating reading.

Jorge
Old 03-05-2003, 12:46 PM
Sorta Kinda O.G.

hmm ok...that might be it...because..yes ...the seal on my cap is broken