Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Flood Damage to Engine *UPDATE*...Please Help!

Old 12-11-2002, 10:41 AM
Type S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flood Damage to Engine *UPDATE*...Please Help!

I (/we, my boyfriend and I,) have a 98 Acura Integra LS...2DR...here's what happened:
Yesterday, Tuesday the 10th, my boyfriend was leaving to go to work at 6am, it was totally dark outside. We live in the apartments next to Barney's on Gandy in St. Pete and he left out of the side gate, which drops you off on the road that runs next to Barney's. (Between the shop and the storage place) The entire road, both length and width wise, was under over a foot of water. You couldn't tell because there was so much water and it was so dark outside that it just looked like the road. Once he found out that the road was flooded, it was too late. The car stalled and he pushed it to the Barney's parking lot where it sat all day. The car still won't start. There are some things that do work, the headlights, radio, his alarm - although the lights don't flash when he arms and disarms it - and the window's roll up and down - very slowly. His car is lowered and has a cold air intake (among other little things - no major engine stuff though besides an AEM fuel rail).
I talked to our dealership (Crown Acura in Clearwater) and they said that it's a very good possibilty that the car is hydro-locked. So, I called our insurance company and they said that once I get the car to the dealership that they'll send someone out to take a look at it.
So, my point is this; has this ever happened to any of you? What did your insurance company do? (We have full coverage with a $500 deductable) How much did it cost? Did you have your dealership/shop do the work? And is it possible that since we're more than likely going to need a new engine, is there a chance that we could do a motor swap? and have the insurance company pay for it? We were in the process of saving for one to begin with. Your help is really appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:26 AM
It is gone

did the car have a bypass valve?
Old 12-11-2002, 12:39 PM
Wherever I may roam...

It does NOT matter if they say it's your fault or not they will still pay for a it.

I would not take it to the dealer, I would find a small shop that is willing to work with you and the insurance company and see what the insurance company will give you, or you could allways tell them you are going to fix it yourself and see what they will give you for a new motor, then take that money and see what you can get done.

I highly recommend that you call John (Mr. Self Destruct) at SS, he has dealt with this several times back in the Spec R days, don't know if he will be able to help you now, but he could prolly give some really good advice.

the shop number is in his Sig.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:46 PM

bring it to my house i'll strip it and um???? insurance =0)
Old 12-11-2002, 01:07 PM

1.Get a good battery
2.take out the sparkplugs
3.turnover the motor {to blowout any water incase of hydro-lock}
4.put the plugs back in
5.try to start it "and hope it works"

It worked for my friend before, I hope you are as lucky. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:46 PM
Type S

I took out the spark plugs and the engine wouldn't kick over with them out, nor with them in. Also, we didn't have any water come up and the spark plugs were dry when we took them out. Another thing, would I be able to fine anything out through a code from the check engine light? I've even tried charging the battery and that didn't help either.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:59 PM
Tetris on a stick

try push starting the car, you might have a fuxored starter.
change the oil and check for water?
if insurance trays to screw you over, there are tons of motors and aprts avail in the fs forum, you could prob put another ls together for 1k
Old 12-11-2002, 07:01 PM
B16ACRX

if your engine is shot iam thought i saw some for sale post about a ls swaps being sold. You can get one for like 900 probably less then that. Have some one put it in for you if you dont knw how to yourself. Iam sure alot of people would help you out find a ls motor. There all over the place. Not very much if you think about it. Its a full motor. Your tranny is good water wont effect that at all. Unless you let it sit for every and rust away. These are like 98 motors to not older gens. Ls motors if your not wantting to spend alot for a swap. Just go with that. Lot of help from TR or hondaswap that could help you out with getting a motor in your ls and your worries over.