Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Maybe you can solve my problem???

Old 11-16-2002, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe you can solve my problem???

Ok heres the thing my I was driving one night my car hit about 5k and it jerked and the check engine light came on. So I took it to Honda they told me my rear main seal was leaking and there was no oil in the car!!! Here is the thing I constantly check to see if my car is leaking something it shouldnt. I have seen nothing of the sort. So I had them put oil in the car and brought it home because I didnt have the $400 to replace the seal. The only time the car has been worked on was when I had a new clutch put in about a month ago. Is there any chance the oil was taken out of the car during this time???? I havent been able to find any oil under the car.

So (A.) Is Honda giving me crap
(B.) Did my mechanic forgot get to put oil in the car
(C.) Should I have someplace else diagnose the problem
(D.) My car is for sale and you are interested in buying it
Old 11-16-2002, 01:22 PM

I have done lots of clutches and tranny swaps. You dont have to drain the Oil just the Transmission fluid. Thats sounds kind of fishy to me Buddy.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:40 AM
yO!

Just add oil for now, and check your oil level often. If you are losing oil within a few weeks. Look underneath the car and see where the leak maybe coming from.

Whoever did your clutch may have damage the seal? I've seen this before, but, if that was the case. You should be able to pinpoint the leak between the motor and tranny. If not, then either the leak may be somewhere else or you are burning oil. Thinner oil can cause to leak.

However, I don't know why your local Honda dealership suggest the main seal whereas they would've recommand the minor gaskets such as the Valvecover gaskets ,grommets seals, cam seals, Dist. o-ring, etc... first.
Old 11-17-2002, 03:16 PM
Livin' in Seattle

Remove the flywheel inspection cover and check for yourself.