Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Had a 3MPH bump in the rear leaving a traffic light Now turn singlas wont flash Help!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 PM
92 DSM AWD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a 3MPH bump in the rear leaving a traffic light Now turn singlas wont flash Help!

So I was leaving a stop light, the car in front of my was a pizza delivery guy, when the car in front of him hit his brakes, he must have just downshifted, and didnt use his brake pedal, I slightly pressed on my brake but still bumped him at approximatly 3 MPH, It was such a light tap there was no damage to either bumper. But now he says his turn signals do not flash. they do light up, I checked all the connections to the bulbs and check for any type of damage and both the owner and I acknowledge there was no signs of any damage. The wierd thing is that when he uses his turn signal it just lights up and stays on solid. The brake lights work as they are supposed. Has anyone ever experienced this problem before? It was such a light tap and I will man up and pay to fix what ever is wrong, but I dont want to be taken advantage of and have to pay to fix something that was already damaged. Is there a way to communicate to the ECU and discover is there was a CEL for maybe the flasher that is under the dash fail? I believe that the flasher is up under the HVAC, I could be wrong. His car is a 2005 or below Civic EX i believe. Could a slight tap to the rear cause the flashers not to flash? I have never heard of this, Now remember there was NO GLASS broken, no damage at all. Just doesnt flash, Has anyone had this happen before?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:28 PM

pulled this from some website might help u

First make sure all the bulbs are working.. If they are then I'd stongly suspect your flasher. It's a $2 part that is a heat sensitive switch inside. The power going through it to the turn signal bulbs heats it up and it curls "open" stopping the current flow to the turn signals. It cools down and connects again and this is what gives you a blinking power supply. It is a very delicate device and they burn out often. You can normally hear it.. Thats what makes the ticking noise under the dash when you activate the turn signal and it's working properly
Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 PM

turn the signals on and listen for ticking noise no tick = flasher bad prob
Old 08-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Kenpo Master Technician

whats a turn singla?
real rota wheels
Old 08-05-2011, 12:05 AM

i hit the q not the g sorry mr dictionary

Last edited by 2qk4u; 08-05-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:08 AM

qq meant signal
Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Pops

Replace fuse for hazard lights, see what happens. If that doesn't do it pull hazard switch out and check connections, move on to turn signal relay last.

Jdm b18c R LSD CRX si
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #96
JoKie TuNinG
RANGCRX BUILT TYPE R
StricKlyMT
727-510-6301

Last edited by BoostedRacerDad; 08-05-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:54 PM
92 DSM AWD

Well The guy I hit isnt trying to meet up with me so that I can help out. He says he is taking the car to a shop to have it looked at. Now I am afraid that he is going to run up a crazy bill and expect me to pay for it. Like most of you on this board I have friends that work at auto shops and I could probably fix the problem right away. All the lights work they just do not flash. I think he is trying to get me to fix a problem that was already there. He also admitted to me that he was in another acciden a month before. If the flasher is located under the dash I cant see how a slight bump could do this. I have been texting him trying to get him to work with me so that I can fix it for him. I did bump him but he isnt working with me. If I cant put my hands on the car how can I fix it.. ugh...