Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Desperately need help 01 Civic idles at 4k rpms

Old 06-27-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desperately need help 01 Civic idles at 4k rpms

Ok, so I took my car to the dealer to have my timing professionally done and while it was there I had all new belts put on it, they also told me my lower timing cover was cracked so I replaced that also. 2 days after getting the car back, the idle jumped up whenever its in neutral to 3.5-4k rpms. I'm at my wits end with this car. I have replaced or troubleshot everything I can think of. I recently replaced the TDC sensor (cam/crank position) spark plugs, fuel pump, just yesterday I replaced the IACV and did the idle relearn as best I could with the car manually revving that high constantly while in neutral or with the clutch down, every once in a great while at a red light or stopping to pay a toll, it will idle normally, this is very rare. The 01' has very minimal vaccum lines that I can see, even when the factory air boxes are removed. I just don't know what to try next. The only code it's throwing now is the bank 1 oxygen sensor but I've never had a car with a bad o2 sensor affect the idle and certainly not to this degree. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would more than greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

-Oscar
Old 06-27-2011, 10:26 PM
aint no reg. spec-v

maybe your ecu?? why dont you take it back to the dealer and have them look at it??

Old 06-28-2011, 12:46 AM
crx hatch sedan

Check for leaks around throttle body gasket and intake manifold gasket. See of the car will still idle with the throttle body closed with your hand.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:08 AM

Default Closin' out the post

Thanks for the great ideas....

1) I didn't wanna believe it was the ECU cuz the dealer charged me an arm n a leg to change the belts n time the car replacing the timing belt.

2) I didn't wanna go to dealer and pay outrageous fees.... so,

I took the air intake off to access the IACV again and the idle set screw was loose enough to turn by hand and apparently rattled in so when I backed it off and tightened it right at 1k rpms, drove it around and runs perfect. Just goes to show it can be the dumbest thing that youleast expect. Thanks for the responses though. I'll definitely make use of the forums in the future cuz I was never a Honda guy before this car. Gimme a small block chevy n ill rrebuild it overnight, but i'm lost with imports, so I'll definitely take advantage of the knowledge available on TR. Thanks again for the responses.