Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

2002 Civic runs rough on I4, HELP!!!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Civic runs rough on I4, HELP!!!!!

Like the title says. Bout 2 weeks ago me and my girl were heading to cocoa beach in her civic, stop by BK to grab some food in the drive thru after sitting there for so long the car jus "boggin out" you could say. Well we hopped back on I4 and no problem until we hit orlando area, The car would just bog down and I would have to cut the car and crank it back up and go, had to do this several times. About a week ago it started again but around town, seems like when it sits in idle it will start acting up and backfiring when you rev it up, after you rev it the motor will idle down and the motor will shake, I dont understand what it is! If anybody has any help please LMK!! IM going crazy lol. After it does it, i let the car cool down for a few and bamm it will crank up and drive normal again WTF. Its throwing a code for a 02 sensor but i didnt think that could do what its doin. Ive thought fuel pump, 02 sensor, injectors, fuel filter, IDK. Please help, Thanks
Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 AM
engine building &best

change the 02 sensor

175+served in engines built from minime to gsr/lsvtec,b16 b20vtec,d15 k24 powerhouses or just rebuilds.life is good
i like when people don't take my advice.cause then i make more money when u need it rebuild the right way!

how many speed holes do i need in my bumper,b4 i can run 15's?
Old 10-19-2010, 05:11 AM
Pops

Sorry to LOL but you are not looking at inputs and updating with outputs every couple of seconds like your ECU is. If the Ecu is telling you the O2 sensor input is bad you should believe it and change it. After changing it unhook battery ( save radio code) and I bet you wont have this problem anymore.
Before you buy a new one however, make sure the wires going to it are not melted.

Jdm b18c R LSD CRX si
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #96
JoKie TuNinG
RANGCRX BUILT TYPE R
StricKlyMT
727-510-6301
Old 10-19-2010, 05:29 AM
Requiem

^+1
Old 10-19-2010, 11:37 AM
That Fat Guy

Had the same problem, with an 01 Civic a while back.......Change the o2 if that doesnt work try your catalytic converter. Thats what was wrongwith mine. Cat was fried after 50k miles. But mine was wayyyy worse...a new o2 should do the trick
Old 10-19-2010, 04:00 PM

thanks for the input, all i kno is the cat was gutted and somehow the dude fucked it up but i didnt think it could fuck it up like that, but ill change it thursday and ill let ya know how it goes thanks!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:11 PM

still doin it but havent changed it now its doin it everyday on the way to work and on the way home, i unplugged the o2's and its still doin it, is it jus me or with em plugged in and fucking up and o2's unplugged and still fucking up, it couldnt be them could it?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:51 PM

been doin ALOT of research and 01-02 civics have this common problem and its the TDC sensor (tod dead center sensor) gonna change it and let yall kno
Old 10-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Pops

This how your O2 sensor works:
Normal O2 sensors.
The ECU reads the sensor's voltage signal and alter's the fuel mixture, creating a feed back loop that constantly retrim's the fuel mixture. When a cold engine is first started the computer ignores the signal from the O2 sensor, running open loop. The default fuel mixture is set to run rich of the chemically correct (stoichiometeric) 14.7 air/fuel mixture. Most O2 sensors are electrically heated to try and warm the O2 sensor up to 600 degree's. narrow band O2 sensors are made from Zirconium-Dioxide elemenr (the tip) The sensors operate by a change in voltage.

If the sensor or sensors are bad they wont read, there is no difference if it is plugged in or not, they arent working. I understand they are pricey but if you dont believe your ECU go to Autozone and have them tell you with there code scan. Might be one, might be both....good luck with it

Jdm b18c R LSD CRX si
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #96
JoKie TuNinG
RANGCRX BUILT TYPE R
StricKlyMT
727-510-6301
Old 10-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Built Not Bought

Runs rough on i4? Have you tried 275?