Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

LS Cank question

Old 07-01-2010, 04:01 PM
mowchowbrowncow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Cank question

okay so i was gonna pick up a fully built gsr block but due to recently moving dont have the funds so im was gonna pick up a Stock GSR block...
I hear alot about using a ls Crank in a Gsr block to bring the compression up..

When doing so can you use the stock GSR rods & pistons?
& would i run GSR OR LS rods?

Old 07-01-2010, 04:11 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Always match the rod to the crank

R.I.P

Kevin "Slo_Si" Gonzalez
6/21/86-9/13/06
Pablo Garcia
9/28/85-9/05/07

You will be missed and remembered forever!!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:13 PM
formerly D00MSB08

Ls rods.

Power Of DREAMS.
Originally Posted by K20A2
Nothing wrong with a B series
Old 07-01-2010, 04:16 PM
mowchowbrowncow

Originally Posted by USDM4g4d
Ls rods.

ight thanks homies...ya mike guess im not getting that built block i want it but my boy is being lame n wont lend me the cash so i guess ima just do a GSR block,Ls crank,ITR pistons.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:21 PM
formerly D00MSB08

were going to have pretty similar builds thann buddy.

Power Of DREAMS.
Originally Posted by K20A2
Nothing wrong with a B series
Old 07-01-2010, 04:58 PM
mowchowbrowncow

Originally Posted by USDM4g4d
were going to have pretty similar builds thann buddy.

truu thats whats up!!

Old 07-01-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm cooler than you

You are better off using a B18C crank in a B18C block. The 0.2 bump in compression and very slight torque increase are not worth the trade offs. With the LS crank you have to either modify the rods or get after market ones. Even if you get ARP bolts and have the shot-peened, the big end will still oval at high revs. A good set of after market rods cost more than a set of Eagle rods. You will also most likely have to block off the oil squirters, which is taking away from the advantages of using a B18C block in the fist place.

Honda-Tech > TampaRacing

TR "Old Skool EF" Member #666

All motor 1.8L: 201/140 More coming soon

I mount an balance 24" tires for $40 each.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:36 PM

yea gsr crank is a lot bigger i was gonna do the same but with an ls block and went with ls rods and gsr pistons i had to shave a lil bit of where the rods connect to the pistons you would probably do the same but if you are gonna put itr pistons you might as well just ctr cuz i dont think the compression would be different from the gsr pistons
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #190
Old 07-01-2010, 06:48 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Originally Posted by 88_Hatchy
You are better off using a B18C crank in a B18C block. The 0.2 bump in compression and very slight torque increase are not worth the trade offs. With the LS crank you have to either modify the rods or get after market ones. Even if you get ARP bolts and have the shot-peened, the big end will still oval at high revs. A good set of after market rods cost more than a set of Eagle rods. You will also most likely have to block off the oil squirters, which is taking away from the advantages of using a B18C block in the fist place.
ok.... quite a few things make no sense in this statement.... Why would he need a set of aftermarket rods? depending on his setup, he may not be revving very high in the first place.. Also there is nothing wrong with eagle rods, again depending on the setup.. seen multiple engines make over 500whp with eagle rods revving in the high 9k rshared_pm range... also if you end up using an aftermarket forged piston/rod combo, then there is no need for the oil squirters

Originally Posted by bigpudge
yea gsr crank is a lot bigger i was gonna do the same but with an ls block and went with ls rods and gsr pistons i had to shave a lil bit of where the rods connect to the pistons you would probably do the same but if you are gonna put itr pistons you might as well just ctr cuz i dont think the compression would be different from the gsr pistons
What do you mean "bigger"? you do realize the ls crank has a longer stroke than a gsr.... also what part exactly did you shave? And if you're going to run true ctr pistons, it would be best to clay the motor and make there is no piston to valve clearance issues...

R.I.P

Kevin "Slo_Si" Gonzalez
6/21/86-9/13/06
Pablo Garcia
9/28/85-9/05/07

You will be missed and remembered forever!!!!

Last edited by poorboy44; 07-01-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm cooler than you

Originally Posted by poorboy44
ok.... quite a few things make no sense in this statement.... Why would he need a set of aftermarket rods? depending on his setup, he may not be revving very high in the first place..
I gave several good reasons why a LS rod/crank combination is a poor choice compared to their B18C equivalents. Why would anyone build a Honda DOHC VTEC engine without revving high? That is the whole point.

Also there is nothing wrong with eagle rods, again depending on the setup.. seen multiple engines make over 500whp with eagle rods revving in the high 9k rshared_pm range...
Eagle rods are heavy, cheap, Chinese-made crap. Yes, they can support 500 whp but, there is a reason why few (if any) professional race teams use them. They often require resizing and their weight varies. An excellent set of Crower rods is not that much more.

also if you end up using an aftermarket forged piston/rod combo, then there is no need for the oil squirters
I can't remember where the OP said anything about using forged pistons.

All of the issues/complications with revving a LS crank/rod combo can be avoided by using the original B18C crank and rods. In bone stock form B18C rods can easily and safely rev to 8500.

Honda-Tech > TampaRacing

TR "Old Skool EF" Member #666

All motor 1.8L: 201/140 More coming soon

I mount an balance 24" tires for $40 each.