Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

1996 Accord- Tach & Speedo drop to zero when turn signals used.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Accord- Tach & Speedo drop to zero when turn signals used.

Today I was driving along in the rain when I noticed that if i used my turn signals my speedo and my tach would drop to zero really quick and then pop back up. It would also disengage my cruise control if i used my turn signals. It would not always make my speedo and tach jump but about 1/2 the time i used them it would happen...

I suppose their is a wire crossing/shorting somewhere. Any ideas on where?

96 M6 Arctic White Z28
"SLOW LT1"
Blue 2005 Acura TSX
Old 06-23-2010, 06:25 AM

Car died at an intersection. Prior to it dying the radio shut off, no head lights no turn signals would turn on, clock power dimmed, all dash lights turned off.. It would idle and then gave it gas and the car died. Would not restart

I unplugged the battery for 5 minutes and was and to start it up and drove it a few miles home without it wanting to die again.

But the speedo and tach still flicked up and down.

I think its a short or an alternator. The alternator is only 2 years old but a rebuilt model. I've had an alternator go before and it just dims everything until all electrical is dead... plus shouldn't be able to restart the car.

96 M6 Arctic White Z28
"SLOW LT1"
Blue 2005 Acura TSX
Old 06-23-2010, 09:23 PM

check the ignition switch ive replaced 2 of them in accords with similar issues the contact points were out and it acts stupid but u could try and wiggle the key and see if it will stall and that would be a $sure sign but it wont always work good luck
Old 06-24-2010, 05:57 AM

bad alternator killed the battery, check your charging system first, did the lights dim and u lose power b4 it died?
TR "Old Skool" DA member #60

Santos618 - Xbox 360 gamertag
GTA4
Forza 4
Madden 12
open to any good online games, i just suck at shooters lol
Old 06-25-2010, 06:51 AM
Found the Vtec switch.

Make sure the belt is not old, and is properly tightened. My alternator was fine, but the belt was silently slipping even though it was tight. The alternator let the battery slowly drain. First the radio would die when I hit the brakes, then the tach too...then turn signals would make the tach drop etc...then it wouldn't idle, and I had to pedal it to keep it going..by the time it would finally die, it was at a little over 10 volts and there's no way in hell it would crank.

TR Old Skool EF Crew #24
Old 06-25-2010, 10:10 AM

So has your problem been solved ?

WWW.PROVENPOWERTAMPA.COM
813-988-3966

ECU Socketing, Custom wiring Harnesses, Stereo, Alarms, Navigation, Electrical Troubleshooting, and More!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Found the Vtec switch.

Yes..after swapping out a spare alternator with no luck..I decided to say fuck it and have a shop rebuild one of them. I took it to them and they hooked it up, saw that it was putting out only 11.5v and then we loosened the adjuster and put a prybar on it and as I pushed, the voltage jumped to 13.5...so I went and got a new belt, and all is well again for the last 4 months or so. Car also runs smoother with the ac on, lol..

TR Old Skool EF Crew #24
Old 06-27-2010, 07:39 AM

It was the alternator on mine.. I changed it works fine now.
It was weird because in the past when alternators failed it was a gradual dimming of the lights and electrical functions. That was on american cars. This Honda went psycho with the turn signal flashers speeding up and gauges shooting up and down.

So thanks for the help.. The alternator was the problem. It was only 2 years old (rebuilt model)

96 M6 Arctic White Z28
"SLOW LT1"
Blue 2005 Acura TSX