Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Honda/Acura Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/honda-acura-tech/)
-   -   s2000 questions. (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/honda-acura-tech/610478-s2000-questions.html)

B20.eg 10-31-2009 08:07 PM

s2000 questions.

new to the s2k, but not new to honda by any means.

anyway, i have been looking to get a nice n/a tune. but i dont know how to go about it.

do vafc's cause cels? because i have read that they do.
what is the consensus about intake mods?

basically, what is recommended as a good first group of mods and why?

i saw that hondata's flash is awesome, but its also 600 damn dollars too. i could hang out with John Vega all day at blue moon for that cost with WAY more fun! lol

thanks for your advise guys!
-nathan

Prelude_!n_7h3_D!r7 10-31-2009 09:47 PM

Honda Data S300
AEM short Ram (cold air sucks water in the S2K)
Headers
Exhaust
400-500cc/min injectors+ pressure reg.+ fuel pump
MSD Blaster
NGK wires
That is the best N/a setup I know

K20A2 11-01-2009 12:57 AM

^you don't know SHIT about N/A setups.

OP, please don't buy a VAFC, save up and buy real engine management.

mtber 11-01-2009 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Prelude_!n_7h3_D!r7 (Post 7194944)
Honda Data S300
AEM short Ram (cold air sucks water in the S2K)
Headers
Exhaust
400-500cc/min injectors+ pressure reg.+ fuel pump
MSD Blaster
NGK wires
That is the best N/a setup I know

Hondata s300 doesn't work on an s2k.
The stock fuel & ignition system works perfect for most n/a setups on an s2k.
The s2k doesn't even use spark plug wires. It uses coil on plug packs which can make tons of power (800+).

------------------------------------
To the OP:

What year is the s2k ?
There are several options on the market. Hondata k-pro for pre 06 s2ks, AEM ems, hondata re-flashes, afcs etc.

What are the power goals ?

B20.eg 11-01-2009 06:01 AM

^hey, john

btw: the ls is almost finished being built so Ty will be ordering some goodies from you soon like we talked about. and i sold the evo, so no pioneering evo tuning.. sorry bro. lol

anyway, i just want to do some tasteful mods without buying wild ass exhaust that sounds irritating as hell. but intake/engine sound is ok by me for sure.

basically i just want a tiny bit of pep in the s2k's step. and i know the best info is "been there and actually tried that" info.

thanks again!

mtber 11-01-2009 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by B20.eg (Post 7195258)
^hey, john

btw: the ls is almost finished being built so Ty will be ordering some goodies from you soon like we talked about. and i sold the evo, so no pioneering evo tuning.. sorry bro. lol

anyway, i just want to do some tasteful mods without buying wild ass exhaust that sounds irritating as hell. but intake/engine sound is ok by me for sure.

basically i just want a tiny bit of pep in the s2k's step. and i know the best info is "been there and actually tried that" info.

thanks again!

Nate,

You go through cars like I go through shoes man lol.
I have tuned a couple of s2ks on anything from afcs to aem ems etc.
I have also dynoed a bunch of stock s2ks etc.

Honestly, the gains to be found from expensive headers, intake, exhaust and a tune are limited (10 whp). 10 whp is 10 whp. For the thousands of dollars spend to get these items, I would much rather have a turbo kit on the car.

L8er,
John.

BluRRboSi 11-01-2009 08:20 AM

I'm with John. Please dont blow a crap ton of money on useless n/a mods.

If you do anything, put together a turbo kit and get k pro or aem. The S2k's IMO are one of the best honda motors to turbo. 450 on a bone stock motor doesnt sound fun?

B20.eg 11-01-2009 08:48 AM

i really was considering a supercharger because i really liked the drivability of my 07si with the comptech sc kit, and i have seen vortechs on s2ks slap 380. but the cost is where its at. i shed the evo, cuz it was getting very expensive. i guess ill just do that, ill save up for a sc kit and say f- the bullshit.

thanks gents, i appreciate the honest info and insight as always.

BluRRboSi 11-01-2009 09:54 AM

Thats not the route you want to go. We put together a vortech s2k a while back and tuned it on aem at 12psi and it was dirt slow.
Dont waste your money man... Turbo. The s2k comes with forged internals from the factory.

Just saying, when you are WOT in your charged s2k at 12 psi, the guy with the cheap turbo kit at 10psi is gonna blow your doors off.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Alpha 11-01-2009 12:15 PM

Like everyone else has suggest. You're going to benefit more from a well put together turbo setup