Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

need help with my first car! performance

Old 02-26-2002, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 91 hatch with a b17a1 all the bolt ons including aem cam gears and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. i think i am ready to start puting some money into my engine and i need some advice from the experts(you guys). should i look for a gsr block and swap out the botom ends. should i look for a gsr head and switch those. should i get cams. or should i pull the motor and rebuild the entire thing all at once starting from the crank all the way untill new springs valve and retainers? please help.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:10 PM
VQ30DE

fyi I thought that bolt ons were i-h-e and maybe a tb. If you dont have any of these go ahead and get them. i-h-e= intake header exhaust. I dont know to much about the head thingy but im sure MR.SELFDESTRUCT would know
Old 02-26-2002, 09:32 PM
BRT OVERKILL

Well okay for one you have a gsr motor. What do you have on it? There are multiple ways to go to get more power are you looking for topend?...torque? The b17a1 is a rare block for hondas as they were only released in the USDM in the 92-93 Integra GSR 9.7:1 comp there was no JDM version of the b17 if you meant by GSR block/head/etc. the 94+ USDM B18c1(the JDM 94+ GSR was just B18C no 1 after it) at 10.6:1 comp then the answer would still be no just modify that engine it is rare and can bee very powerfull if boosted.....something for you to think about....

Only babies drink from bottles...
Boosted 00 Si
N/A 93 HB b16/18
Old 02-26-2002, 10:20 PM

I think you have a misconception of a typical honda rebuild. when you rebuild say a gsr engine you do not replace the crank or valve springs and retainers in the motor. You need to focus on reliability first. Yes it would be a good idea to take apart and rebuild your block. Im sure justin would sell you or let you borrow his b16 block so you wont have any down time. when you rebuild the bottom end you replace all the bearings the oil and water pump and all the gaskets and seals. I would recommend going with jdm type r one up pistons and bore your block .20 or .25 over so your cylinder walls get any burs or scratches removed. Add arp rod bolts to strengthen the bottom end. That will up your compression and reinforce your bottom end. You should get different cams and a better valvetrain probably type r unfortunatly the cams in the 92-93 gsrs were the worst b-series cams that honda made. They didnt make hardly any power. after that add an aftermarket flywheel and tune the piss out of that thing and you should be right around where you wanna be. Its not cheap but this is probably the least expensive route to take. With all that in your hatch you could expect high 13s on good street tires maybe better depending on the driver.

Old 02-26-2002, 10:24 PM

why do I have the funny feeling that you are just gonna add nitrous??? lol

Old 02-27-2002, 07:25 AM

jason believe it or not i did already know about type r pistons and shotpeening my rods and of course replacing the bearings seals oil and water pump. i wanted to get some suggestions for cams or maybe a turbo setup. and how did you become god about hondas. it must be all the practice you have aquired rebuilding and building them.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:49 AM

lol I was just trying to offer some help but since you are going to be a dick about everything like usual I wont even bother. It is obvious you dont know your ass from your elbow when it comes to hondas by your previous posts but ignorance is bliss. good luck

Old 02-27-2002, 02:07 PM

Just add Nnnaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwsssssssssssssss s!!!

He said someone would say it.....figured it should be me........even though I would never put nitrous on my car.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by "Someone"

It is obvious you dont know your ass from your elbow when it comes to hondas by your previous posts but ignorance is bliss
thankyou for you wonderful commentary. im glad you think i dont know shit about hondas. i hope you keep thinking that way. i hope you tell all your friends that i dont know shit and i am just another griffin. because in one month and 25 days(and counting) we have a scheduled race and if you lose then you will have lost to a riceboy who does not know shit. and if i somehow miraculously lose no one will care because i dont know shit anyways. oh and dont worry about my setup i dont need anymore help i know what i am getting and it is not type r pistons.

Quick Reply: need help with my first car! performance