Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

need help!!!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:26 AM
previously kid420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help!!!!!

so i have a 91 hatch with a dpfi d15 and its running like shit ,it starts to bog when i press the gas pedal all the way down i have to play with it , it also turns off when im coming to a stop if i have less than half a tank of gas ,and last night it just got a whole of a lot worse the car would not want to go at all!!! it just hesitated to go and would back fire a whole lot , i allready changed fuel filter, spark plugs,and spark plug wires they made it run a lil better but the problem is still there so im pretty sure is somenthing with the fuel, im thinking i should drop the gas tank and maybe clean i out or somenthing what do you guys think it is???????? maybe o2 sensor?????

www.myspace.com/retono
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #31

Old 04-12-2009, 12:36 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

I am thinking if your fuel pump is still from when they installed it in 1990 (more than likely the year built like mine was) then it may be on its way out because with half of tank it dies out.

you may have also gotten a bad tank of gas.

how did the gas smell when you replaced the filter? how dirty were the spark plugs when you replaced them?

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 04-12-2009, 09:44 PM
previously kid420

Originally Posted by chi town brat
I am thinking if your fuel pump is still from when they installed it in 1990 (more than likely the year built like mine was) then it may be on its way out because with half of tank it dies out.

you may have also gotten a bad tank of gas.

how did the gas smell when you replaced the filter? how dirty were the spark plugs when you replaced them?
gas was filthy it was like a dark orange like rust so i was guessing there might be rust in the gas tank??? spark plugs where black.

www.myspace.com/retono

Old 04-13-2009, 09:50 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

there very well could be rust in the tank. best bet is to drop the tank, drain it and use a strainer to see what comes out.

check the sock on the fuel pump to see what kind of garbage it caught before it went through your fuel line. then clean that (the sock) as well.

after you put things back together and load up on new fuel I would add a fuel injector cleaner to the tank.

it sucks that you have to drop the tank and then get to the fuel pump on the EF. be prepared for a lot of road crud to hit your face, wear safety glasses.

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:46 PM
previously kid420

there very well could be rust in the tank. best bet is to drop the tank, drain it and use a strainer to see what comes out.

check the sock on the fuel pump to see what kind of garbage it caught before it went through your fuel line. then clean that (the sock) as well.

after you put things back together and load up on new fuel I would add a fuel injector cleaner to the tank.

it sucks that you have to drop the tank and then get to the fuel pump on the EF. be prepared for a lot of road crud to hit your face, wear safety glasses.
dropped the tank today and removed fuel pump but the sock filter wasn't attached to the pump, so i digged around the tank and got it ,you think maybe the sock not being conected to the pump is why it was doing that, and i don't think there was rust in the tank because when i drained it the gas looked pretty clean.

www.myspace.com/retono

Old 04-14-2009, 07:13 PM

possibly could have been the sock is kinda like a pre filter so to speak it will keep "chunks" of stuff out of the pump thus not clogging and losing fuel or gettin dirty fuel i work in the field but do not claim to be professional lol but sounds reasonable keep us updated thanks
Old 04-15-2009, 04:30 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

so when you removed the pump the sock wasn't on it ... or did it fall off as you removed the pump?

did you replace the pump with a new one or just put it back together?

how is the car running now?

i loved my little d15 motor ... after 200k + miles the carbon wiped right off the pistons

Old 04-15-2009, 08:24 PM
previously kid420

so when you removed the pump the sock wasn't on it ... or did it fall off as you removed the pump?

did you replace the pump with a new one or just put it back together?

how is the car running now?

i loved my little d15 motor ... after 200k + miles the carbon wiped right off the pistons
sock wasn't on the pump when i took out the pump,and the car is still sitting on my drive way waiting for the new pump to go in ,it rained all day yesterday and i worked from 9 am till 11 pm today so ill put it back together tomorrow see how it runs.

www.myspace.com/retono

Old 04-16-2009, 05:32 AM

if the sock was off and the fuel from the filter war orange, change the pump and sock just because if its not bad it will be.