Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Civic rear disc brake conversion

Old 08-06-2001, 05:56 PM
Livin' in Seattle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The proportioning valves between cars with 4discs and those with 2discs are different. You did right by taking the teg prop valve. You might also want to check that the clutch line fitting is the same size for both master cylinders. I know that when swapping a 3rd gen teg MC into a 5th gen civic that the fittings differ in size and location.
As for the MC usually youve gotta replace the booster since the two wont line up right otherwise. Even if you got the MC off of an Si it might be using a different booster.
Old 08-06-2001, 07:19 PM
Livin' in Seattle

God...dont mind me I dont know why I said clutch line I meant brake line. hahahaha

Anyways what I mean is that the BRAKE line fittings may be different as well and youll have to cut off the stock fitting put on the teg fitting and then reflare the line. Its a pain in the ass.

If they have the same bore than theres no sense in changing them out just for a larger reservoir. Hell you could just swap the reservoir if youre in the mood. Still though I would have thought that the teg MC would be larger. You sure the stamping is the same on both? Doesnt make sense.

Old 08-06-2001, 08:28 PM
Livin' in Seattle

Then perhaps they are the same thing I just find it out that they would have the same part number but mount differently. Odd.

There is no advantage to having a larger reservoir unless youve got a leak somewhere in the system in which case a jug of brake fluid would be nice.

I whole heartedly recommend getting a set of speed bleeders for your setup or if you have an aircompressor a brake bleeder kit. Actually I just saw in the store the other day a hand held brake bleeder kit that doesnt require a compressor and only costs about 20 bucks. Anyways back to speed bleeders. Basically theyre little check valves that you install in place of the stock bleeder screws. It turns the whole job into a one man operation since you dont have to have someone opening and closing the screw while you depress the pedal.

To check the MC just look at the general condition of it and see if there are any visible leaks. The only way youll know that the MC is about to go out other than by pulling it is that the pedal will start to sink a little more than normal. Im assuming you drive the car enough to be familiar with how the braking feels so if the pedal seems to drop faster than before then chances are youve got a leak in the MC.

When you change out the MC remember to bench bleed it or else itll be a pain in the ass to get all the air out of it when its in the car.
Old 08-06-2001, 08:58 PM
Livin' in Seattle

Originally posted by "Someone"

Originally posted by Mr Self Destruct
Man Bill oh master is all over this one. Let me jump in with some experience.

Should be finishing up my term paper but this is more fun to talk about then Motorollas 68k chip family.
Well that and I dont post much so this is helping my post count.