Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Engine whine...

Old 07-05-2008, 09:53 AM
No more Vtec!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine whine...

So last night on the way home from S. Tampa, I noticed a whine coming out of my engine bay when I hit the gas pedal. If I depress the clutch and give it gas, the whine is still there so Im not sure if it has to do with the tranny. When I got home and finally popped the hood, It literally sounded like a dog crying inside my engine bay when i hit throttle. Theres no noise at idle. Only when its given gas and its gets a little louder when it revs higher. Almost sounds like a broken supercharger! I couldn't pin-point exactly where it was coming from though. Its not really an overwhelming nosie either. Im really hoping that it's something to do with the belts/alternator instead of something inside the block itself. Do alternators whine when going bad? I did some research and didnt find much. Alot of what i read said its tranny related or bearings in the tranny but the noise wasn't coming from that side of the bay and made the noise when stopped in neutral. I also sprayed some belt conditioner on the belts and the whine stopped for a few minutes and then came back. This morning I went out and the noise is completly gone. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!! If it happens again today, Ill try to get a sound clip and post it up...

Old 07-05-2008, 10:05 AM
EFI Tech/Tuner

If you were able to get the noise to stop fter spraying the belt down then there is your problem it sounds like. sometimes that belt conditioner has to soak into the belt before it actually works. It seems like overnight it did just that.. Was it raining or damp out last night when it happend?
EFI-101 Certified
(941)628-4988
Old 07-05-2008, 10:08 AM
No more Vtec!

Originally Posted by Blown99civicSi
If you were able to get the noise to stop fter spraying the belt down then there is your problem it sounds like. sometimes that belt conditioner has to soak into the belt before it actually works. It seems like overnight it did just that.. Was it raining or damp out last night when it happend?
No it didnt rain all day yesterday! Hopefully it is the belts. I just had 2 of the 3 belts replaced 4k miles ago though...thats why i skeptic on whether or not its the belts or alternator or something else! thanx tho! repped

Old 07-05-2008, 10:52 AM
starting over

was your ac on when this happened? sometimes when its humid out the belts whine. it usually goes away though. i dont think this is an internal problem.

RIP PABLO AKA FATHEAD.....YOU WILL BE MISSED!
Old 07-05-2008, 11:30 AM
No more Vtec!

Originally Posted by sleepinsol
was your ac on when this happened? sometimes when its humid out the belts whine. it usually goes away though. i dont think this is an internal problem.
i did have the ac on at first until i noticed the noise and then i turned it off and the noise continued...thx

Old 07-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Great White Hope

when was the last time you changed out a/c idler pulley? what motor is this sound coming from?

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least
."

TR "Old Skool DA" Member #28
Old 07-05-2008, 09:03 PM
No more Vtec!

ok, so it did it again tonight...had no problems all day until i was driving home from tarpon springs....i noticed it about 2 miles from my destination. I think ive pin-pointed it to my ac compressor!?!? I took a sound clip from my phone that you can hear the whine REALLY WELL! I had the phone placed right over the a/c...Im dog sitting tonight so ill post up the clip when i get home tomm. I noticed that when i turn the ac off, the noise comes on but when i turn the ac on, it goes away. I pretty sure thats my prob. My question now is...I have no idea what ^ mentioned about the idler pulley....Im guessing thats my problem. Its never been switched and to answer your ? the engine is a ITR b18c5. Is the whole compressor going or just the pulley? ac works fine still...blows ice cold air! also, about how much do they run $ wise? ill check into it tomm or monday anyways! any advice is much appreciated!!!!

Old 07-06-2008, 03:36 AM
Great White Hope

the idler pulley is fairly cheap compared to the compressor, normally around $40. it may depend on what year the engine is, whether or not you have a idler pulley. I think they used them all the way up to 99 but i'm not quite sure. but when they start to squeal, they normally do not last long and soon seize up and burn up the a/c belt. i've had that happen once before to me on my 91 LS and your setup is basically the same, belt wise.

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least
."

TR "Old Skool DA" Member #28
Old 07-06-2008, 08:18 AM
No more Vtec!

ill get to the part store today or tomm and find out! the engine is an 01 so im hoping your wrong about the year they stopped using idler pulleys. I really dont want to replace the whole compressor.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:51 PM

Don't replace the compressor until you fill your power steering pump with Honda approved fluid. Whines like a puppy when low. AC bearings growl and grind.