Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Buying a 96' Accord

Old 03-24-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 96' Accord

Hey im finally getting my first car, my dad has a friend at work who is going to sell me a 1996 accord, 1.8L Non-Vtec. Its a 4 door. There are some things that need work- It needs a muffler, Driver side window motor, The ac needs to be charged, and the brakes squeal. there is some "Light" Hood damage. I am buying the car for $1,000.00 so i figured it would be a good enough deal to compensate for the work needed. I am looking for suggestions for a cheap way to fix these things. Im going to have about $400 in the next week to buy some parts, Im very mechanically inclined, i just never researched honda parts that much. Any help is appreciated, Looking forward to be driving a honda by friday.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:16 PM
bored

it should be a 2.2l non vtec the brakes on those cars are a pain if u are going to change the rotors too.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by allmotor91da
it should be a 2.2l non v-tec the brakes on those cars are a pain if u are going to change the rotors too.
I'll check out the head, i was pretty sure it was a 1.8. Yeah most brake-jobs suck, but when i pull off the brakes I'll spin the rotors to see if thats the cause of the squeal, or if the pads are grounded down to metal, which is pretty likely considering the guy isn't much of a mechanic...

Thanks, Any more input is still appreciated. I'm a student with a part time job so any way to save some money is good for me, which is one reason i started working on cars, auto shops charge outrageous money to have such simple shit done...i just need to invest in a good hydraulic jack and some stands.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:33 AM

First thing if you dont have a manual goto Honda / Acura Manuals - Hondahookup.com. You need to register to download any of the manuals but you should be able to find your car and would give specific instructions.

Next if money is short (which i always s for me) go to a scrapyard and take the parts you need off an old car. As always check the internet because you maybe able to find something cheap versus time taking something off a car ie I just bought a refurbished driveshaft for £112 (~$210) what a bargain .

David

Check out my Car Domain site
Old 03-25-2008, 04:42 AM
Nitrous Queen

It seems there's always an Accord at the Copher's here in Bradenton. I used to have a 96, and OMG do I miss it. If you happen to need any lights (headlight, corners, etc) or anything else, lemme know. I've got some spare parts left over from mine.

TR "Old Skool EF" Member #012
91 Honda Crx Si & 03 Lightning clone
~*~Ellie~*~
RIP Cisco Ramos, RIP Brian Nichols
Old 03-25-2008, 07:13 AM
bored

i had a 95 loved it had a 92 it was great and now i got a 91.the first two were
totaled one by my wife and one by me.if you need to know anything just ask me and check out gen5alive for some real good tech info

Old 03-25-2008, 01:08 PM

thanks guys, I'll get the brakes fixed, the a/c recharged, hopefully there isn't a leak. Then the window motor or maybe the regulator, i gotta test the system. And I'm trying to find a cheap muffler, note isn't a big deal to me, just something to finish it off...I'm trying to find a hood, but if i get a fiberglass, I'll have to get it painted, and clear coated so it'll cost close to as much as a carbon ($400).

If i have some money left over, I'll hit you up about the lights, I'm just trying to restore the car back to normal before i start doing anything to it... Thanks.

Another Question: What is the hole size for the muffler where it connects to the midpipe?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by yfzr1der
thanks guys, I'll get the brakes fixed, the a/c recharged, hopefully there isn't a leak. Then the window motor or maybe the regulator, i gotta test the system. And I'm trying to find a cheap muffler, note isn't a big deal to me, just something to finish it off...I'm trying to find a hood, but if i get a fiberglass, I'll have to get it painted, and clear coated so it'll cost close to as much as a carbon ($400).

If i have some money left over, I'll hit you up about the lights, I'm just trying to restore the car back to normal before i start doing anything to it... Thanks.

Another Question: What is the hole size for the muffler where it connects to the midpipe?
If the a/c is low on freon, there is a leak. My $$$ says the evap is leaking. Especially if u see oak leaves in the cowl below the window wipers.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Once Ruled The World .l..

Nice, I have a 96 4dr Lx Manual as my DD

TR
"Old Skool EF & DA Crews" Member #46
TR "Wagovan Club" Member #1
Old 04-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Hey its that guy!!

I loved my 95 accord..

But...

Things i had problems with on mine... and how to fix them..

Ac was leaking from damage to the Ac condensor. Easy replace and recharge system after repacing the Ac drier also..

Autotranny shifted ruff.. (drain and refill with honda Auto tranny fluid Fixes um up good)

Power window regulators die on these things all the time.. replace with new or a good used one.

Changing the front brake rotors on these cars sucks so bad.. Have to have the hub pushed out of the knuckle.. then they slide back on and bolt on..

Not a bad price for a 96.. You can get the hood brand new after market for under 100.00..
Should be a 2.2L F22B2 engine Code.

I miss my accord... Sold it to a young kid and found it 2 weeks later in a junk yard by me looking like this..

it used to look like this...

Last edited by Thatguysstuff; 04-07-2009 at 10:01 AM.