Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

A question.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question.

Just recently purchased a '94 Acura Integra .. LS.. Coupe.

While driving it @ cruising speeds, above 20, it's relatively quiet but if I go under 20 it sounds as though the front right part of my car is making this grinding sound. Sometimes it does it when I turn, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it does it when I go straight and maintain steady acceleration below 20mph, and sometimes it doesn't.

My question is does it sound like some form of CV Axle failure or could it be something else?

Any of you guys ever had an issue similar to this? I'm rolling on fat fives with a completely stock suspension. Maybe something there is weak?

It only happens when I'm plodding along at very low rates of speed and it's quite irritating. Sounds like it coming from the front right tire.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:56 PM
starting over

kinda sounds like a drive axel to me. could b something in the brake system too. pull the wheel off n c lol.

RIP PABLO AKA FATHEAD.....YOU WILL BE MISSED!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:07 PM

I wouldn't know what to look for with a failing axle?

Brakes are self explanitory.
Any symptoms? I've been out of a Honda for close to a year. Was new to it when I had my last one.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:55 PM
DC Crew Member #1

Good luck with this one because my EF does that too only when turning to the left the sound comes from the right tire well area...took it to a few mechanics and my friends and I have all taken the whole area apart looking for wear and there is nothing...break pads always wear evenly too. If you find an answer let me know lol.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by custom240sx
Good luck with this one because my EF does that too only when turning to the left the sound comes from the right tire well area...took it to a few mechanics and my friends and I have all taken the whole area apart looking for wear and there is nothing...break pads always wear evenly too. If you find an answer let me know lol.
How comforting.

Almost seems like it could be the input shaft bearing starting to go. I noticed it doesn't do it when it's not in gear.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:59 PM
DC Crew Member #1

Well mine only does it while moving...input shaft bearing will make sounds when your in gear and you will be able to hear it whether the clutch is in or out. It is a faint (depending on how bad it is) sound that sounds like scratching. I may be wrong on this description but I am pretty sure it is correct. If you have any questions regarding a tranny cxcivic is the member to talk to.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by custom240sx
Well mine only does it while moving...input shaft bearing will make sounds when your in gear and you will be able to hear it whether the clutch is in or out. It is a faint (depending on how bad it is) sound that sounds like scratching. I may be wrong on this description but I am pretty sure it is correct. If you have any questions regarding a tranny cxcivic is the member to talk to.
That's almost what it seems like. The axle back that is on this bastard is ridiculous and drones at highway speeds so it'd be substantially harder for me to hear the sound while rolling at a high rate of speed.

The only thing is it doesn't do it while it's out of gear.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:14 PM
///

I have this same exact problem. If I'm going under ~20mph and am under 3k rpms it will occasionally make this noise.. It kinda sounds like a humming noise, but it's hard to explain. As soon as I push in the clutch, or if the car is out of gear, it stops. Also when it starts making the noise, if I give it just a little bit more gas, it stops. I've asked before and no one could tell me what it could possibly be.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:46 PM
starting over

wow this is a doozy. id almost say its a drive axel. based on 240's description id b convinced. if it keeps gettin worse then its most likeley a drive axel. if not maby u have something rubbing that only happens at low speed turns?

RIP PABLO AKA FATHEAD.....YOU WILL BE MISSED!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:56 PM
///

It happens even when going straight, and It can't be the axle since it stops when we engage the clutch or take the car out of gear.