First look - the new Acura RS-X

Old 01-08-2001, 02:55 PM
Team Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dial up users beware!
http://www.theautochannel.com/conten...0108-acura.asx

------------------
John
Tampa Racing Moderator of For Sale Local Scene News and Honda/Acura Tech forums.

vapor.trail@gte.net
Those with golf balls golf.
Those with real balls race.

All about me. Everything youve never wanted to know...
Old 01-08-2001, 03:25 PM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

Damn...I forgot! Its the 8th!!! Yeeehaaaww. Damn...I have dial-up. Oh well it will be worth it!!!!!

What do you think about john?

1953 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (Fuel Injected, Drive-by-wire, DoD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT (6.0l V8 Sleeper)
2011 Toyota Sequoia Sport 4x4 (Tow Rig)
My Blog: www.HotRodCaddy.com
Old 01-08-2001, 03:43 PM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

For those who cant wait all day!!!Here they are...Pics of the new 2002 RS-X in Electron Blue!

Damn...Where do I sign up?

Old 01-08-2001, 03:58 PM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

DETROIT Jan. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Acura debuted its RS-X sports coupe prototype at the North American International Auto Show today providing the world with a first glimpse of the technology and styling direction for an all- new Acura production vehicle to be introduced later this year.

``The RS-X provides a clear indication of the direction we are headed with the new sports coupe that will replace the Integra said Dick Colliver executive vice president of Acura. ``With the introduction of a production version later this year Acuras stable of class-leading luxury performance vehicles will be even stronger.

Drawing on Acuras heritage of performance and precision engineering the RS-X prototype utilizes advanced new engine technology in combination with rigid unit body construction a highly aerodynamic body and sport-tuned chassis to deliver exhilarating style and performance in a luxury-class sports coupe. The RS-X also maintains Acuras leadership in the areas of occupant safety and low emissions providing state-of-the-art safety features while meeting Low Emissions Vehicle (LEV) standards.

Providing for the vehicles high performance low emissions and outstanding fuel efficiency is an advanced new-generation 2.0-liter 16-valve DOHC engine with i-VTEC ``intelligent valve-control that produces approximately 200 horsepower. Hondas patented i-VTEC combines VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) with new VTC (Variable Timing Control) to continuously adjust camshaft phase for enhanced performance and efficiency across a broad power band. Power is transmitted to the front wheels via a close ratio six-speed manual transmission.

The RS-X prototypes exterior styling communicates a message of power and precision with short front and rear overhangs sweeping curves and sharply chiseled accent lines. The vehicles strong and solid stance is enhanced with 18-inch BBS light alloy wheels and 225/45R18 Michelin tires. A distinctive front fascia is highlighted by large bright multi-reflector headlights deeply beveled chin spoiler and signature Acura grille. The rear decklid features a sporty brow that extends above the four-lamp taillights and is complemented by a large-mouth chrome exhaust finisher.

The RS-X interior features a cockpit-style driving environment with driver-oriented instruments and control surfaces. Interior highlights include perforated black leather trim deeply-contoured Recaro sport seats small diameter steering wheel short-throw gearshift lever and silver-colored reverse inset gauge cluster. A large greenhouse low profile cowl and slim A- and B-pillars provide for an open airy feeling and excellent outward visibility.

A full complement of luxury interior features includes power windows mirrors and door locks steering wheel-mounted cruise control power moonroof and AM/FM/Cassette/CD stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD changer and trunk mounted subwoofer.

The RS-X prototypes exceptional handling and braking are provided by its track-tuned fully independent front and rear suspension with large stabilizer bars and large-diameter 4-wheel disc brakes with Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS).

Exhilarating style and performance world-class safety class-leading fuel efficiency and low emissions combine to make the RS-X Prototype a forward looking sports coupe with Acura quality precision and craftsmanship at the heart of its design.

The production version of Acuras RS-X will debut at the New York Auto Show in April 2001.

Acura RS-X Prototype Summary

The RS-X is a sports coupe prototype that offers the first glimpse of the technology and styling direction for the all-new Integra replacement to be introduced later this year.

RS-X Prototype Key Features:

* The RS-X prototype borrows on Acuras heritage of sports car racing and precision engineering * The RS-X combines a new generation i-VTEC engine a highly aerodynamic body and sport-tuned chassis to deliver exhilarating style and performance in a luxury-class sports coupe * Key features of the Acura RS-X Prototype include: -- 2.0-liter 16-valve DOHC engine producing approximately 200 horsepower -- DOHC i-VTEC intelligent system with variable cam timing for enhanced performance and efficiency across the power band -- Close ratio 6-speed manual transmission -- Track-tuned fully independent front and rear suspension -- 4-Wheel disc brakes with anti-lock braking system (ABS) -- Sweeping curves and sharply chiseled accent lines -- 225/45R18 Michelin Tires and BBS light alloy wheels -- Distinctive front fascia highlighted by large bright multi- reflector headlights and deeply beveled chin spoiler -- Sporty rear fascia complemented by a four-lamp taillight assembly -- Recaro sport seats and perforated black leather trim -- Power moonroof -- AM/FM/Cassette/CD stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD changer and trunk mounted subwoofer

Old 01-08-2001, 04:47 PM

It seems like it will be a wonderful sled ... err ... car. A few of the issues that concern me are:

1* i-VTEC. It utilizes a timing chain and a single pulley that controls both of the pulleys that are keyed on to the cams (similar to the S2000). Doesnt make for easy performance oriented cam timing adjustments.

2* R model? So far I have only heard DEFINATE news of the one model. Although it is a very nice looking car there are always room for improvements in performance. Honda has effectivly gotten 240HP out of a 2 litre. 200 is great but will there be a better tuned version?

3* 18 wheels - I doubt those will make it to production. Itll probably just have 16 inchers like the S and the Toyota Celica. That would make me (a potential owner) much happier.

4* OBD2 v.2 - Why the hell am I a modifier even looking at a new car (2000 model year and up) when we havent even cracked the ECUs! The new OBD version is sure to throw a code whenever I touch the air flow more drasticly than an intake (ie; header exhaust high flow cat)

Anyway - it looks like a nice ride. I did rather like the name Integra but oh well. I just think its geared more towards the average person than a modifier. If Im in need of a nice stock daily driver in the near future Ill look into it.

------------------
Denise
1988 Honda CRX Si - No SHOW No GO No MOTOR
<A HREF=http://www.geocities.com/crixb16a/index.html TARGET=_blank> </A>

- You laugh at me because Im different.
I laugh at you because youre all the same. -
Old 01-08-2001, 05:50 PM

Let me be the first to say thing is ugly as sin. The head lights tail lights trunk airdam body lines...ugh. I dont know what it is but everyone on the Honda/Acura boards are digging it but I can bet you if the thing had a FORD badge people would say its fugly. And there is no way this new look is going to grow on me not gonna happen. The specs are a little disappointing after hearing 220hp for months its more likely going to be 200hp. Im sure its the thing can perform but im not to excited about the exterior.

------------------

AIM: Acura Type Ricer
My POS Integra Site

94 Integra LS 4dr Sedan Zex n20 Ghetto CAI etc etc...

AIM: Acura Type Ricer
My POS Integra Site
Old 01-08-2001, 07:48 PM
Livin' in Seattle

Im not a big fan of the exterior styling and the interior reminds me too much of some cheap arcade simulator. Still though I cant wait to see how it performs suspension wise. When does this thing come out? Itll be interesting to hit the Acura dealership and stick my head around under the hood.
Old 01-09-2001, 10:07 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Well im gonna go out on a limb here and say that i REALLY like the design!! I cant wait to go test drive one...to see how they tuned the suspension. for all you out there that are gonna complain about strut front suspension remember one key thing. Some of the best handling cars in the world run a strut front front suspension...the ENTIRE porsche line...

Scott

BTW that video starts out cool...(robert miles - Children) but it gets REALLY cheezy with the video about the RS-X

------------------
enthalpy (h)- n. Name given to the Thermodynamic representaion of internal energy
defined by the sum of the entropy (u)and the pressure (p) times specific volume(v).
h = u + pv

Anyone looking for fresh Progressive Trance Mixes? Check mine out:
www.myplay.com
E-Mail : enthalpy@tampabay.rr.com
Passwd: enthalpy
Old 01-09-2001, 03:29 PM

Is it just me or does that side view of the car remind anyone else of a 2nd gen eclipse??? minus the tail fin of course... and 200 hp really isnt that special in these renewed days of HP wars. I say... bring it on... it too shall fall to the turbo dodges hehehe
'87 GLHS #189 12.51 @ 111.85
'87 Shelby Charger(garnet)
'99 Grand Prix GTX 14.32 @ 95.86
Old 01-09-2001, 06:04 PM
Team Titan