Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

help timing DOHC

Old 09-19-2007, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help timing DOHC

im trying to tim my d16a1. When the crank gear timing mark is inline with the arrow on the block cyl. 1 is at BDC (not TDC) is there something wrong with this? or should i just turn the crank til cly. 1 is at TDC?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:14 PM

so i went out and bought the ahynes manual to try to get the timing right and it still wont fire. i have checked and double checked all the conections and all it does is crank. the distributer is in time as far as i know and all the marks are lined up. someone please help. if anyone reads this and lives in the new port richey area and could possibly help out with this i will pay. my cell number is 727-237-7383. my name is brandon. im in need of this car to get done and i'v tried all i can. PLEASE HELP SOMEONE!!! thankyou
Old 09-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Rick James bitch

It should be at tdc when the mark is ligned up....hmmm are you sure your setting it right???
TR 5th Gen Civic CREW Member #14

T & C Racing

What VP Race fuel's should we carry?

FT Crew Mascot lol
Gotta love my hater fan club. I love the fact people worry about me 24/7 Ill never be forgotten. I love you guys.....
Old 09-25-2007, 04:09 AM
Cool Runnings

not sure but think you may have to take the timing belt off and re-do it. try rotating crank til all pistons are clear of the valves then take off timing belt rotate cams til the up arrow is up and all valves are closed then rotate crank til it is at the top dead center mark on the timing cover. to check make sure the number 1 piston is all the way up also ckeck the dizzy by taking off the cap and the rotor should be at the point for the number 1 spark plug wire. put back on your timing belt rotate as you should to take up the slack tighten tentioner, check again for #1 piston to be at top dead center and dizzy to be at plug #1 point if all lines up you should be good. cross your fingers then start. good luck "not to be quoted"

She can pop it she can lock it ........ I'M IN LOVE WITH A HONDA

R.I.P. DELROY MANDERSON SR. 1-30-73 ~ 9-19-02

THE FEW
THE STRONG
THE BRAVE
NATURALLY ASPIRATED

TR "OLD SKOOL EF MEMBER" #05
Old 09-25-2007, 04:11 AM
Cool Runnings

are you sure you are lining it up with the right mark cause i think on pullies there are more than one mark. think 3 or 4 marks.

THE FEW
THE STRONG
THE BRAVE
NATURALLY ASPIRATED

Old 09-25-2007, 07:04 AM

well you are correct. thers 2 timing mars that we didnt notice the first time that thers 2 timing marks... theres one to set the piston at cyl 1 at tdc and 1 to set it at bdc. so on our next attempt we set it to tdc and still nothing. when it cranks over it kinda sounds like the when the starter goes bad and all it does is spin, but everything is turning (water pump, both cams, crank, and tensioner.) its got PLENTY of spark, and its got fuel.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Cool Runnings

do you think you might have had some valve to piston cantact? so everything is perfectly lined up now on the correct mark?

THE FEW
THE STRONG
THE BRAVE
NATURALLY ASPIRATED

Old 09-25-2007, 08:37 PM

a friend of mine and i went over the car today for a final run over to try and get it running. we timed everything up got everything exactly to where it needs to be and all connections pluged in. tried to start it up and still nothing. so i decide to check the plug wires all of them (1-4) have alot of spark. so i put the spark plugs in the wire to see if im getting spark at the plug.... nothing. i dont understand this at all. the wire itself has spark but it didnt send it to the end of the plug. so i go out and buy brand new plugs thinking that this would work. now it only sparks at the plug for a few seconds and then stops.

this car is really starting to upset me. thank you for all your help so far if ya keep reading please keep posting if you got any more info.