Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

another turbo question

Old 09-15-2007, 05:46 AM
save the s.o.h.c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another turbo question

ok heres the deal. i got a y8/ turbo. the deal is it wont build boost. its not the couplers or pipes its deff the turbo itself. it spins fins and has little play. but when i get on it it starts to build boost then drops off. stop w/ the car at idle i look and its not spinning. snap the throttle real quick it spins. w/ the car off its not seized up or anything. its a t3/t4 to4h i believe. i am running a restrictor w/ a 3 an line. could that be the problem. i was told to always run a restrictor even w/ a 3an due to honda high oil pressure. but now i see some saying its not need w/ a 3an. thanks
Old 09-15-2007, 05:56 AM
KJ
bored at work

I wouldn't expect a y8 to spin a t3/t4 at idle so don't blame the turbo based off of that. I personally would not run a -3 with a restrictor but I'm not going to say that is your problem. How are you sure you are not leaking at the couplers or welds of your pipes, have you leak tested it?

Gracie Barra Clearwater Gyms in Clearwater, St. Pete and Port Richey
pm me if you are interested in trying a free class at any of the gyms.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:12 AM
save the s.o.h.c

havent leak tested it but it built boost once and stopped since. it make a loud sewing machine sound. was told it might be out of balance. there are no obvious leaks i would think if there was any small leaks i would build some kind of boost.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:40 AM
KJ
bored at work

Is the turbo new?

Gracie Barra Clearwater Gyms in Clearwater, St. Pete and Port Richey
pm me if you are interested in trying a free class at any of the gyms.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:08 AM

Who manufactured the turbo? Boost leak test before you say you have no leaks. A lot of people say that and I usually find at least one. Take the restrictor off the -3 line
* IP Web-Site

* RIP Kevin/Slo_Si RIP & Pablo/Fathead
Old 09-15-2007, 03:05 PM
save the s.o.h.c

^^^^ went little further, just took it off. noticable contact of the blades to housing. just some light scuffing tho. didnt damage fins. so imma say time to swap it out go na for now. plan on buying a new garrett 42/48
Old 09-16-2007, 10:13 AM
EFI Tech/Tuner

PS, Non ball bearing turbo's = No restrictor as long as you are under a 6an line, ANY Ball Bearing turbo = restrictor.. journal bearing turbos can handle the extra psi without a fuss, BB cannot..

High bread race cars producing over 120PSI running journal bearing turbos rarly run oil restrictors and never have a turbo fail do to oil high pressure.

In almost 95% of the cases we get turbo's back for rebuilds and are told the seals are gone, turn out to be the case of faulty oil return lines. Either the lines are to small or are not installed correctly.... only a select handful of them actually have seal issues due to high oil pressure..
EFI-101 Certified
(941)628-4988
Old 09-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Mr. Stealyogirl

Originally Posted by Blown99civicSi
PS, Non ball bearing turbo's = No restrictor as long as you are under a 6an line, ANY Ball Bearing turbo = restrictor.. journal bearing turbos can handle the extra psi without a fuss, BB cannot..

High bread race cars producing over 120PSI running journal bearing turbos rarly run oil restrictors and never have a turbo fail do to oil high pressure.

In almost 95% of the cases we get turbo's back for rebuilds and are told the seals are gone, turn out to be the case of faulty oil return lines. Either the lines are to small or are not installed correctly.... only a select handful of them actually have seal issues due to high oil pressure..
Believe him, He drives like a 500 hrspwr SI on a mild tune. Plus hes my nigga

Lurkin' in a hood near YOU!
Old 09-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Redrocket part 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had a similar situation on an LS kid took off his WG and when he put it back on forgot to install the ring that goes underneath it and this caused him to not really build boost. lmk if that helps any.

Current Cars

05 ZX6R FOR SALE! Help me pay for school PM me for info.
95 Civic EX 4dr- D.D.
99 GMC Sierra 5.3l ext. cab. Under construction
05 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R Plasma Blue
Old 09-17-2007, 10:20 AM
save the s.o.h.c

took the turbo off and could see where the wheel was hitting the exhaust housing. not really hard but im sure it was effecting it. the turbo made a howling sound and i was told it was due to it being out of balance.