Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Differences Between the B16 head and the GS-R head

Old 06-12-2007, 10:06 AM
is full of Hondas =/

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences Between the B16 head and the GS-R head

So I´m at the Dominican Republic and I meet some friends with a CRX hatch. He´s running a B16A JDM block with a GS-R head and a full B16 valvetrain minus the camshafts and he also has PCT (JDM CTR pistons) in the block. What I found interesting was that the GS-R head produces a higher compression than the B16 head when I previously believed that the B16 head would create a higher compression due to the increased combustion volume. To validate this I went to a compression calculator and found out that the GS-R head does produce a higher compression than the ITR head if higher domed pistons are used in the GS-R block. My question is what exactly makes the GS-R head produce a higher compression than the B16 and why do people swap a B16 head to make a ¨Poor man´s Type R¨ if the GS-R obviously produces more compression if only higher domed pistons are required. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:35 PM

the chamber on gsr head is smaller than b16/itr head therefor giving it more compression, stock to stock the b16 head is better than GSR, but ported GSR all the way.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:28 PM
starting over

+1 on the smaller combustion chamber bit. however, the only real reason ppl say that the b16/itr heads are better is bc they "flow" better. this is only true for the type r head bc its been slightly ported/polished from the factory. the standard b16 head actually flows about the same as the gsr, with each flowing better at different points of lift due to the shape of the ports (according to the flow charts). the b16 head is used to make a poor mans type r bc the b16 and itr heads are from the same casting so the ports are already of similar shape. the casting is the ONLY thing that the b16 head has in common with a itr. other than that EVERYTHING is different. hoped this help clear up some misconceptions.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Banned

^ +1 nice commentary
Old 06-12-2007, 07:40 PM
is full of Hondas =/

Thanks for that guys. I originally was going to buy back my old B16 head to put on top of my B18C1 block but after I discovered this I´m going to build my GS-R head and port and polish it and the works. Thanks again and rep given to all.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:07 PM

Also keep in mind that the intake systems designed for the two heads are quite a bit different.
The GSR uses a two-stage intake that can alternate between short runners for high rpm and long runners for lower rpm performance. This is sort of a vtec for intakes in the case of the GSR (two intakes in one).
I would consider which intake/what kind of drivability you want to run when deciding which head to go with.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:12 PM
is full of Hondas =/

Yea I know about the GS-R intake manifold, but I was thinking more along the lines of upgrading it to a Skunk2 manifold and throttle body. Thanks though.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:28 AM

Whether that is an upgrade is arguable. Point was, once you convert to single stage intake, there is no perceivable difference in the two heads. The slight compression increase isn't enough to matter.
As for a modified performance head, we can debate it all we want, but there is a reason Honda opted to take the GSR head off and scrap it and use the b16 head. If all Honda thought it needed was a single stage intake, all they had to do was bolt one on after massaging the ports a little and call it a Type R. But they didn't.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:06 AM

skunk2 throttle bodys are junk, either use bdl or rpm service both are direct replacements.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:35 PM
starting over

if ur goin all motor just get a gsr t.b. bored to 65mm....thats all u really need on a street car unless its boosted.